Here's a complete build, looking for input

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
So here we have a semi-finalized build for my girlfriend's computer. I'm looking for any ways to cut costs/any component conflicts you guys can think of.
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
Western Digital 320gb HDD
Hans-G 22'' Monitor (more of an aesthetic choice over the Acer 22'')
Saphire HD 4830
Corsair 400w PSU
Logitech LS21 7 watts RMS 2.1 Stereo Speaker System
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomics Keyboard and Mouse
Anti-Static Wrist Strap
OCZ Reapers 2x2gb
Microsoft Lifecam Webcam (anyone have any first hand experience with this guy?)
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard (Tell me your thought on this mobo)
Intel E5200 Wolfdale 2.5 GHz

Thanks guys, and thanks for continually getting back to me about this stuff, it's helping immensely, even if it's annoying some of you haha.

About $850 after shipping/MIRs. I'll be picking up Vista for hopefully $60 or less from my school.

u can get server08 for free for 240 days, after that u can just reformat it.. free os that's legit

You haven't said what the pc is going to be used for.....

I would get this case instead
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Save money with this graphics card
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H483FN512P Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I would get the seagate in that price range its a bit faster and has a 5 year warranty for the same price
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

You don't need the wrist strap just touch the frame before starting and don't do the moonwalk in socks on a carpet whilst building. If your going to be anal you could just wrap some wire to your wrist and stick it to the case frame.

I would get this ram instead for $10 its a lot faster
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Save $4 on the cam by getting the red version
Newegg.com - Microsoft RKA-00014 1.3 Megapixel Effective Pixels USB LifeCam VX-5000 WebCam - Red - Web Cams

For 5 bucks more you can have the oppurtunity to crossfire later on
Newegg.com - Foxconn P45A-S LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

You need a cpu cooler to improve the longevity and overclock that E5200 to 3.2ghz its not going to destroy anything by adding the extra speed.
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

You can use server08 then add the vista gui its faster then vista in most programs however there are some incompatibilities like you have to use avast enterprise edition.

You can use server08 then add the vista gui its faster then vista in most programs however there are some incompatibilities like you have to use avast enterprise edition.

Oh right, I never knew you could use the Vista GUI on server 08.

Nick, I have not tried it but I believe that server 08 is a lot like vista.

EDIT: I see salty just got in there.

Yeah it is a lot like Vista, Server 03 was based around NT etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom