Help! what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneek26105

Solid State Member
Ok so I've built my first computer(yay!). specs are

case: Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case - ATX/Micro-ATX, USB, Audio, 120mm Blue LED Fan, Black at TigerDirect.com

mobo: Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Motherboard - Socket AM3, AMD 880G, MicroATX, USB, HDMI, DVI, PCIe, RAID at TigerDirect.com

cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor with Fan at TigerDirect.com

ram: PNY Optima MD4096SD3-1333 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB, PC3-10666, DDR3 1333MHz at TigerDirect.com

psu: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration at TigerDirect.com

os: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD at TigerDirect.com

odd: LG WH10LS30 Super Multi Blu-ray Rewriter - BD-R 10X, BD-R DL 8X, BD-RE 2X, DVD+R/-R 16X, DVD-RAM 12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 24X, BD-ROM 10X, DVD-ROM 16X, CD-ROM 48X, SATA at TigerDirect.com

hd: Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB, SATA-300 at TigerDirect.com

Now everytime I boot it up windows starts but all I get is the windows symbol and no desktop. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? I've restored windows twice now and I get the same thing.:madd:

did you use 2 different hd's? possibly one from your old machine that was the boot drive and now your using it as a slave? I did that once with XP and it still had the system on it, and it would do that exact same thing, hang on the load portion. If that is the case unhook it and see if it boots without it, if it does you'll need to get parted magic or some kind of CD booting partition editor and resolve that issue, I did not resolve it, but only because I had mirrored the disk to the new drive, so it didn't matter. (but someone else may have a better solution)

I really don't KNOW the resolution to this issue to use two drives but that was my experience that seemed similar. If I recall u can set them to "active" or not.. and that may be it, or you may have to blow out the partitions MBR and clear the OS off the old drive., but the details on fixing it I don't know, the drive was noisey so I was retiring it anyway.

you could try booting into a linux live CD to see if you are having a major component system issue or a software issue, but it could be a shoddy ram or etc and linux live cd's are not a thorough test but it would give you a direction maybe.

either way good luck.

I wish it were that simple but no I used exactly the parts I have listed nothing else. I have no idea whats goin on. I'm wondering if its a bios issue but not completely sure.

uneek26105 said:
ram: PNY Optima MD4096SD3-1333 Desktop Memory Module - 4GB, PC3-10666, DDR3 1333MHz at TigerDirect.com

Is this a single stick of ram or is it a (2) piece kit?

If it's a single stick then that is probably the issue, it shouldn't be, but a lot of mobo's just don't like using a single stick especially if your using the "Built-in" Graphics on the mobo.

uneek26105 said:
psu: Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration at TigerDirect.com

If Ultra doesn't make the most unreliable power supply on the Planet it's easily in the top 2 or 3. If the power supply is delivering erratic voltages then it could be causing problems for a number of components. And any component can cause the system to stall or lockup.

It could be a bios issue, make sure the cpu and memory settings match there rated specifications.

yeh it is a single stick. I had a dual kit originally but the sales guy talked me into this.stupid me. how do i check the voltages and the ratings for the cpu and memory in the bios?

any ram and psu u recommend?

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
should i buy this one or this one
Newegg.com - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
its listed on the compatability list

ok i have no idea what i did to change things but for some reason its working now. Could that def mean the psu?

I'm sorry. What is the "edit" button? I'm still new to this forum. I did order the ram. The computer seems to be working fine now. Done several restarts and had no problems. I think I'm still gonna return the PSU. And thanks for all your help so far guys.
K i've found the edit button but I'm still figuring out how to use this forum so please be patient. Thanks for all your help.

The edit button is the little pencil icon on the gray bar below your post next to the quote symbols and the reply arrow. It is used to edit an active post to avoid double posting. Posts stay active for 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom