Help upgrading video for old system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceInvader75

Solid State Member
I recently bought a Compaq Deskpro Workstation P4 1.5ghz to replace my K62 500mhz system. I bought it because I like to play games and my other computer was so old that it sucks even for old games now.

But before I can play most games I need to upgrade my video card because all i have now is a Matrox Millenium G450 card. The problem is that I can't seem to find out which version of AGP this system has, and I read that there are at least 3 versions of AGP. All I have found out so far is that the AGP is 4X, but not which version.

I went to the Compaq website and could find no information about the motherboard at all, and nothing about the AGP except that it is 4x.

Also, if my AGP is limited to 4X does that mean I would be wasting my money on a 8X video card? I wasn't planning on spending alot of money on a card in the first place, but I certainly don't want to waste money on a better card if it is limited by the motherboard.

Hopefully somebody has some suggestions!

:mad:

I'm pretty sure if you've got a 4x, you need a 4x video card. You can, however use a 4x/8x video card, because it still has that 4x.

Well, I found a GeForce FX5500 for $40, so I just went ahead and bought it. It's 4X/8X AGP so I hope it works. 1.5ghz isn't powerful but it can still play older games and I think it will be decent for World of Warcraft once I put some more memory in it.

The only thing I don't like about this computer is the RDRAM, because it's so expensive, and I won't be able to use any RDRAM when I upgrade the motherboard/cpu. So I guess I will only put another 256 MB in it.

Good video card, nice deal too. It'll work. That'll be one laggy game of WoW.....but then, even my 800mhz can handle WoW on a good day, that is, if I were to get another 500 megs of RAM.

first of all the computer was a wastre of money since you wanna play games you shoulda just spent a little more money on a better system that will last you longer but anyway its your money and rdram is really expensive. and the video card you just baought is a pice of crap also you shoulda spent at lease 150$ for nvidia 6series. then again its your money.just get some moore ram and return that card if u still can and spend the extra money.

I thought RDRAM was high performance ram with high clock speeds?

I think it didn't become popular because back then nobody could afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom