Help Upgrading my System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick298310

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I'm new here and this is my first post. I look forward to staying on these forums.
Anyway, I would like to see your suggestions on how I can upgrade Motherboard (and probably my CPU) but also keep the rest of my system. I would normally do this myself but since my PC has some fairly old parts (3-5 years) and some brand new parts in it, I am questioning the compatibility.
I would be spending about $150 and under the Motherboard. The CPU is optional (i have a functional CPU but i would appreciate an upgrade). Price range for the CPU is $150 (give or take 10 or so dollars). In total I have have 400 bucks to spend but I would only like to spend 300 or so. If you find a really good deal, I am willing to spend all of the 400, but that is only if you find: quiet, powerful, and compatible parts.

My SystemPLEASE REPLACE THE CPU AND MOTHERBOARD WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS)
Motherboard: ASUS D945PVS (Pentium 4/D motherboard Made in 2005-6)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 830 (Dual-Core 3.00GHz)
RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR3
GPU: HD 4670: 1GB DDR2 (Its a fairly good card for only 80 bucks)

Thanks,
Nick

EDIT:
How about these setups plus an AMD one (I don't really Like AMD but if its the cheapest i'll take it)

1. Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale (2.93GHz) 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E6500 + BIOSTAR G41D3G LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($117)
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E6500
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR G41D3G LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

2. Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 Wolfdale 2.7GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E5400 + ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard ($190)
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 Wolfdale 2.7GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E5400
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

3. AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX630WFGIBOX + BIOSTAR A770E AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard ($130)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.455690

4. Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E3300 + BIOSTAR G31D-M7 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($111)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116264
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138142

5. Intel Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I5650 ---------------- PLUS ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ----------------- (300 bucks)
Newegg.com - ASUS P7H55D-M EVO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Why don't you like AMD?

Intel has some amazing high-end chips, it's true. As far as pure bleeding edge performance Intel has the crown. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that if you buy these old *** Wolfdale core chips that you've got a good processor. It means that you followed Intel regardless of price and bought something 3 years old because of its brand.

Let me ask you something. If Intel put their brand on a bag of dog **** would you buy it? I'd be willing to bet that many people would.

With that being said. AMD has a big lead in the price/performance category. The difference between that Athlon II x4 and those Wolfdales in terms of performance is the same (or very very close) to the difference in performance between the Core2Quads and the Core2Duo's. Athlon II x2 performs very similarly to Core2Duo at the same speeds, and AMD is much less expensive. Not to mention the fact that this is not an Athlon II x2 you're looking at, it's an Athlon II x4. 2 extra cores, and nowadays most applications/games WILL take advantage of that. And the Core2Duo are STILL more expensive. Does that make sense to you? Re: Intel Dog **** Bag.

Not to mention AM3 motherboards are relatively new. Those LGA 775 boards are dead. The technology is dead. If you buy those, in 1 year you'd be in the same situation. If you buy AM3 you'll have room to move up to a nice Phenom II x6 6-core, or maybe even (probably) whatever AMD pulls out next. Not to mention better DDR3 support, and just newer technology all around.

Now that I ****ed off a few people, and likely made you feel like I'm a complete jerk.(It's the truth what I say)

If you spent your max budget which you said was $400 then I would suggest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.430451

The chipset on this motherboard is brand new (~1 month old).
The processor easily overclocks to 3.7ghz on air and I personally got my Phenom II up to 4ghz on air.(check the Super Pi Top List in AMD section. I'm #5 I think? or something?).
This processor has L3 cache, and will perform slightly better but very close to Core2Quad at the same speeds. AND it costs 25%~ less! All because of blind loyalty to Intel, and their dominance of the market.

Total for the combo $269.98. This leaves you room for some memory (more memory and faster memory)
So,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...231278&cm_re=DDR3_1600-_-20-231-278-_-Product

This is excellent memory, and is going to FAR outperform any kind of DDR2 you could have ever bought. Re: EDIT

Logically this is the best option in my opinion.

Grand Total: $404.19 (That includes a shipping estimate by the way)

Technically this is $4 over your max budget, so if you get this ram instead, you'll save $15 or $20 and it should perform comparably. They are both good sets of memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227558

Grand Total: (with OCZ Special Ops instead of G.Skill. Ripjaws.) $387.80.

That motherboard is a nice one by the way, and so are both sets of ram. I'd personally go for the Ripjaws but if you're strictly $400 and under the OCZ Special Ops ram will do you fine.

Better performance vs price than a similar Intel rig. Better future-proofing.
Brand new technology in terms of the chipset.
Very overclockable processor.
Excellent overclockable ram with nice timings and low voltage requirement.

It speaks for itself.

EDIT: ASUS D945PVS??? The only thing I found with D945PVS was an old entry-level Intel motherboard.
Also, it only supports DDR2. You said you have DDR3. How exactly does that work?

Dude, don't assume anything. I'm not an intel or an AMD fan. I have only owned 2 desktops in my life, all custom, and i have upgraded them to get every last bit of performance i can sqeeze from them. You sound like an AMD fanboy. I'm neither. I just go with Intel because in all computers and laptops i have owned, I have had an intel chip and they give me great results.

Yeah, I had an entry level Motherboard the ASUS D945PVS with a Pentium D. I was running Crysis at different settings (most lowest but some at mainstream) at 1680x1050 and AAx2. I think I built a pretty darn good system at the time. (Sorry for comparing to crysis, I know almost all people think that crysis is the best looking game, but its not. The only reason i compared to it was because i just recently played it the last time i used my Desktop and its fresh in my memory)

Anyway, when i said I had DDR3 ram, i meant i have a 2GB DDR3 chip sitting around in my house that is compatible with the system. My dad was gonna use it but he ended up getting 2x4GB DDR3 chips.

As for your suggested Config. Yeah, i like it. I definately do think the AM3 boards are the best way to go for the cheapest price but at the same time, keeping performance. I don't however, like that Athlon X6 Core chip. Just too expensive. I would like to see how expensive the X2 or X4 version of that chip is.

Thanks for the help,
Nick

How about these Setups. They are all AMD and they all use the same Motherboard. Just different CPU's. Which would be the best to put into my current setup (SHOWN ON FIRST POST). After looking at these, I'm definately thinking about buying the Quad or Triple-Core setup.

1. AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCGQBOX + BIOSTAR A770E AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
($103)
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

2. AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor + BIOSTAR A770E AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
($133)
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

3. AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX + BIOSTAR A770E AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
($119)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom