help upgrading my mommas desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hey fellas.
i have tried everything i can to speed up my moms office pc.
nothing seems to work, it is just a dog.
it's a dell dimension 3000 (yuck) with a p4 2.8 socket 478 prescott.
im thikin i may get her a 3.0 oem prescott, and maybe a new mobo that i can overclock a little. i upgraded the ram already to 1 gb patriot, didn't really help as much as i'd hoped

new egg has this p4w 800mhz fsb:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116027

and this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138262

i think i need to change both the mobo and the cpu to get the most out of this P.O.S., adjust the ram timings, up the fsb etc.

a few questions:
will this board fit in the dell dimension 3000 case with no mods?

is this the best cpu for socket 478?

will i be able to just drop in the cpu to old board if need be?

what do i have to do (besides deleting mobo drivers) to switch the mobo? i.e. any problems with windows, she runs xp sp2, hard drive, etc?

lastly, any feedback is appreciated. help me....
thanks

Well, first of all, if you upgraded to 1gb of ram and it didn't help, have you tried reformatting and reinstalling windows? There could be software problems that are slowing it down.

i thought of that...
you think i should try that first? that's a whole bunch of backing up...like i said it is her office pc.
and i would be dead if i lost all of our billing statements and whatnot...

also, the cpu in this machine has a fsb of 133 mhz, the one from the egg is 800...i think that would make a tremendous speed difference, don't yall?

It would make a difference, but I think you should try a reformat and reinstall before you commit to more hardware. How big can that hard drive be, anyway? Just grab an external drive and copy everything but the Windows files over. If it's a business computer she *should* be backing up regularly anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom