Help upgrading my cousin's dell so he can play F.E.A.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL

Vinsanity
LoL. My cousin has been seeing me build my comp and upgradin it this christmas and now he wants me to help him upgrade his dell.
These are his specs.

-Intel P4 2.4ghz socket 478
-256mb pc2700 ram (2x128)
-Geforce 4 mx 440 agp 8x

He says he wants to be able to play the new pc games like bf2 andhalf life 2, but F.E.A.R. is the game he really wants to play. If he cant play fear than he doesn't want to upgade. He has around $300 to upgrade.
He wants a new videocard and ram, but he doesn't want to change the processor.

This is the stuff i was thinking about buying for his dell.

Ram-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146996
Vidcard-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150089

that comes out to around $230 so there is still some money left. Basically if you had 300 dollars to upgrade this comp and make it good enough to handle F.E.A.R. than what would you buy? I relly need some help on this one, i want it to be the best bang for the buck.

Well, you, or your cousin, need to ask youself, do you really want to spend money so that you can just barely play todays's games, or would you want to save up more for a better build that can be better suited towards the future?

That being said, you should be able to play all those games at decent settings with the upgrades he wants.

While I have not played FEAR, I do play BF2 @ 1024x768 with med/high settings and 4xaa, and Half Life 2 @ 1280x1024 with settings on high. I have a p4 640 @ 3.2GHz, 2Gb pc3200 and an MSI 6600GT.

well he isn't a super gamer he just wants to upgrade his comp mainly and play F.E.A.R. He doesn't really want a good gaming comp for the future he just wants to know what parts he should buy with the $300.

Wait he doesnt want a super computer C'mon have you researched F.E.A.R. it kinda requires aleast a good computer.I can almost play that game at full,but look at mine than youll see the diff.
give up on playing F.E.A.R. he'll need to build a new comp.You'll need about 2 gigs of ram.at least a 6800Gs.

His cpu wouldnt run anyware close since he olny has a 533mhz bus speed and he cant overclock it since its a dell.That is the most demanding game out to date.He could play bf2 and WoW and some other games.

His PSU wouldn't be able to handle a big graphics card, anyway.

Not true, I have a 6600GT and I play fear eloquently. You guys need to start realizing that some people dont feel it necessary to play at 1280 resolution (I play F.E.A.R. at 1024 with most things on max). I also have a 2.26, but it is overclocked to 2.6. I recommend at least getting a 6600 for the game, but I am not sure how a lower card than that would work.

Ofcourse its possible to play F.E.A.R with his processor... you need to remember that he isnt a super gamer and probably wont want top graphics settings.

do you have a presscott or northwood P4 CPU. The dells only came with northwood p4 CPU's.big diff but anyways he still would have to pay more than $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom