Help Upgrading Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman84

Beta member
First off, I'm not completly lost or newbie when it comes to hardware and upgrading but I'm more then willing to admit that I don't know as much as I probably could.

I bought an Alienware system about a year ago. Awesome system. Quality setup and parts. System came with the Abit AA8XE mobo which I know runs on dual channel pc 4200 memory. I've got a gig of 533 ram and looking to add another gig, more to try and help my 6800 ultra as the newest round of games are released with ever soreing specs. And while the paperwork I have for the system has most of my parts totally explained out they only give me as the type of memory that came with the system. No information on timing, or latency etc. I've learned it's best to have same manufacturer, Searching the net I've come across the information that there is no "PDP Memory" but that PDP Systems does make the Patriot Modules. I guess my main question is, is my best bet in adding memory to the system is indeed getting A Patriot 1 gig kit 2 x512. The one I've specifically found would be..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220051

thanks guys for any help that can be offered.

Edit: New Information gathered
So I decided to open the system and the memory sticks are labeled the same as whats on my paperwork. "PDP512MBDDR2PC4200" and I don't know how reliable it is but saw someone else on here useing it, cpu-z under the spd tab is showing me at pc4300. Mayhaps thats just the max I can run? not necessarily the modules in the system? PC Wizard has also said Im useing Micron Technology Ram.

I think, its getting to the point where, is manufacturer really THAT important to match? or will it not matter as long as the timing and latency is all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom