Help understanding PSU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello All,

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this post, but since it essentially falls into a potential upgrade I put it here.

I'm just curious, I don't fully understand PSU's and I'm trying to learn as much as I can an educate myself. Anyway, if you have a system and it's running with the bare minimum recommended PSU, possibly even a bit below, but it functions well and runs stable, should you still upgrade the PSU? I mean can anything bad happen?

This applies to my current situation on a second PC, but also on a friends PC. He's basically running with the bare minimum PSU req but just like my 2nd box, everything runs well. I think my nephews PC is maxed out on hardware and running a pretty low end PSU too.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. I never thought much about PSU's but with all the higher end vid cards requiring more juice it seems to be becoming more important.

As long as you have a PSU that is good quality and meets the minimum requirements, you're good to go.

As long as you're not running a Generic (the one that comes with your case) or an ULTRA psu, you're fine.

Thanks, RockyZ.

Also, is there a certain order in which you should go about installing the PSU? I mean, after you hook it up and have it ready, should you first switch it to "off" and plug it in, then switch it to on and fire up the PC? Probably sounds like a stupid question, but I've only put in a few PSU's and I'm always paranoid about finally plugging it in and turning on the PC. hehe.

Heh, I'm running the PSU that came with my case with no problems. Anyone heard of "Orion" PSUs? As for installation, you'll be fine with your plan.

RockyZ said:
As long as you have a PSU that is good quality and meets the minimum requirements, you're good to go.

As long as you're not running a Generic (the one that comes with your case) or an ULTRA psu, you're fine.

Do you mean as in the Ultra X products?

http://www.ultraproducts.com/subcategory.php?cPath=36

I have an Ultra-X Connect and it has not given me any problems at all.

And yea the newer cards are starting to require dedicated rails for the Vid cards. I could be wrong but think such things like the ATI cards require somethign in the 450 - Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail is recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom