Help with a system upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help with a system upgrade

Hi there,

Was wondering if some one with a bit more knowledge than myself could help with a potential upgrade I would like to carry out on my system. Its an old dell system that i have slowly been upgrading over the past year or so. I got bought a new gpu last year a radeon HD7770. Now i know its not a card to set the world alight but id like to hold onto it for a bit longer and pretty much upgrade everything else around it and the look towards a new gpu at a later date.

So im currently thinking of upgrading my RAM and CPU. Im expecting i could need a new motherboard for this too as the one that is being used is still the original. The PSU has also been recently upgraded (when i did the gpu). So current set up is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5ghz
RAM: 4gb
Motherboard: Dell 0M017G (pci express x16) I believe i have 4 slots for RAM, currently occupied by 4x1024
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1024mb
PSU: novatech powerstation 750 (750w)

Ideally like i said im thinking of just CPU and RAM at the minute (motherboard if needed also). Budget of around 200. And would like it to be able to perform well for the upcomming new engines and releases (of course coupled with a new GPU down the line).

Thanks in advance anyone who can lend an insight. Appreciate it alot.

Erkin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Help with a system upgrade

Q8200 works rather well still for all modern games. I have one myself coupled with a 5850.

There are no decent upgrade paths for only 200 that wont perform marginally the same as your current setup.

Edit: Would not have purchased that PSU. If things ring true, their OEM is the same as OCZ's old OEM pre-PCP&C.
Edit2: They are indeed rebranded OCZ. Ew

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So what are my options with regards to being able to increase performance (talking mainly games here). Most sites that compare spec vs my comp seem to place ram and cpu as the main issue, with only high spec things placing too much strain on my gpu.

How much would i be looking at (cost wise) for a worthwhile upgrade to cpu and ram? And is that a bad situation with my psu?

Thanks for the hasty response
Erkin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Games are 90% dependent on the GPU for performance as most games are not heavily multi-threaded. The CPU clock wise is a tad slow, but still performs rather decent with a good GPU. Only a few games will be held back, Crysis 3 being a good example. A Q6600 is still rather respectable for gaming even today.

Your best option is to up the 7770. If you just bought it you can return it and I would put more money towards a 7850, or a 7870 is possible.

As far as money wise upgrading your CPU combo you have a few options.
Option 1:
3570k and Z77 board. Current hardware, available now.
Option 2:
Wait for Haswell which is the next mainstream Intel platform. 10% CPU increase over current Ivy Bridge, less power consumption, less heat. That would be a 4570k and Z87 setup.
Option 3:
Get an AMD FX 8350 which has respectable performance vs 3570k but is more power hungry, thus giving off more heat and a 990FX motherboard.

Right now, you won't find many games that will give the 8350 a performance advantage as it doesn't have 8 true cores. Next gen in 2-3 years may, but by then I think we will see hex mainstream chips from Intel that will give much more single threaded performance. That's an educated guess but next gen consoles are slower 8 core units and I don't see devs utilizing all 8 any time soon at 100%. So a high end quad will still give off good performance for quite a while. That decision is entirely up to you which route you save money for and go.

No the PSU situation isn't as bad as I make it out to be. I just do not trust OCZ units, or their companies financial situation.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote