Help with SSD (not physically)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengjo

Baseband Member
So I just installed windows 7 on my SSD (120GB), and I am currently formatting my hard drive (1TB).

Basically I want my OS as well as my games on the SSD. Everything else goes on the 1TB hard drive.

What I need help with:

- How to make the 1TB HDD the default place where things go (so that I can manually click the SSD when it comes to games and such)
- Do I need to fix this in the BIOS, and if so, can you help me in any way?
- Other tips and facts related to using an SSD like this are also appreciated, because I've got nothing (knowledge-wise)

Feel free to explain this to me as if I were 5, as that would greatly improve the chances of me understanding.

I would be most appreciative for any help! :wink:

I run off an SSD. All my games are on my 500GB HDD. When you install software, you must specify where the files will go. Normally "C:\Program Files", you need to change that to "E:\Program Files", or whatever your drive letter is and where you want to save it in.

In a browser, for example, you can set where your downloads go.

There is no automated way to do it, sorry to say.

The BIOS does not control software. All it does is control hardware.

So basically, now that the 1 TB HDD is wiped clean and I'm running off my SSD, all I have to do is specify where all the things I download / install go and that's really it?

Can you just drag the user folders from the ssd to the hdd or do you have to do it a certain way so that it doesnt ruin things like the pathway for shortcuts on the desktop?

for existing programs, youll have to reinstall them if transferring them to a new hard drive (unless youre some sort of registry warlock, in which case you probably know what to expect anyways) *EDIT Corrosive is a registry warlock.

all other files can just be drag and dropped. shortcuts on the desktop can be changed to the new location by right clicking and changing the target and file location.

for existing programs, youll have to reinstall them if transferring them to a new hard drive (unless youre some sort of registry warlock, in which case you probably know what to expect anyways)

all other files can just be drag and dropped. shortcuts on the desktop can be changed to the new location by right clicking and changing the target and file location.

thanks!

Also in Windows 7, you can move your Documents/Pictures/Music/Videos libraries to other drives as well by including a folder on the storage drive and excluding the original folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom