Help on setting up 2 SATA HDDs - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to derrick007
Default Help on setting up 2 SATA HDDs

I have a PC with a WD3200 320 GB HDD, But i recently got another hard drive, a WD800 for a great price, free! So I figured, more space can never hurt, and I could turn my 320 GB into a solid 400, so why not. There both SATA, so how do I set it up? Do I have to do a slave and master setup, or does it do that by itself? if not how do I tell the computer which hard drive is the primary and which is secondary? Do I have to install the OS on both HDDs, and if so, how would I go about doing that. I have 4 SATA slots, so do I have to plug in specific hard drives into specific slots?

Any help is apreciated, thanks in advance, Derrick.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

with SATA every port is it's own channel, therefore every drive "acts" as a master. you don't need to jumper them to get the pair working. you only need the OS on one disk and it doesn't really matter which disk that is. the SATA ports should be numbered and their numerical order will be the default boot sequence i.e. 1-2-3-4. it really shouldn't be a problem but on the off chance it stalls during boot because the wrong drive is set as the boot drive (it should just skip it if it can't find an OS to boot from) you can go into BIOS and change the order. if the 80gb drive is brand new don't forget to format it once you've installed it
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Closed Thread