Help Selecting New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdncktodd

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I recently had problems with my old video card (Nvidia Geforce 5200) which was causing my computer to crash. First thought it was a driver issue but when I took the card out I noticed that some of the capacitators? on the card were busted on the top and some white substance was coming out

So, obviously it seems I need a new video card. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 P4 3ghz and 1gb ram (about to be 2 gb soon).

I'm not much of a gamer but I watch alot of videos on this machine and I do play some games (Hitman: Contracts is one of my favs). So I need some suggestions on what video card to get.

I've noticed that most people opt for Nvidia cards but what does people think about ATI? And I need to try to keep this under $200 (hopefully around $150 or so). Thanks in advance.

This also cannot be a PCI-Express video card as my mb does not support that.

well for around $150, the 6600gt seems to be everyone's recommendation for your best bang for the buck. if you want to spend closer to $200, try a 6800. Those nvidia cards. ATI is alright but for the same price as a 6600gt, you can get a card that gets its @$$ whooped by it....so...

that white substane.. lol is probably battery acid.. DONT touch it, throw the card away.... dont try to sell.

Ahh, so that would explain the rash and itching sensation I got after I touched that stuff... haha just kidding

I figured it was something bad, didn't know it would be battery acid!

Thanks everyone for the help!

prolly not to far off... if theres a capacitor and stuff is leaking from it, white stuff especially, DONT touch it..!! lol, its an electronic part, why touch stuff oozing from it O_O :eek:

Well, went to the local circuit city and they were running a special on the Geforce 6600gt for the same price as newegg after a couple of mail in rebates, so I went ahead and got it.

Thanks everyone for the help.

what kind of card was it? the Geforce 6600GT is the GPU.. tell us exactly what it says on the cover of the box plz.. just out of curiousity

I doubt that it was the same price as newegg but if so right on becuase best buy and all those big coporate companies usally price gouge all the people that dont know about forums for info and dont even know about newegg.It all makes me sick:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom