Help selecting components for barebone pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

morsstupebit

Beta member
I am researching what components to use in the building of a new pc. Below is a list of questions covering the different components that I have been researching.

1. Which brand of processors, intel or amd, has better cheap low end processors that can be upgraded to hi-end later such as the intel celeron socket 775 that can be changed for a hi-end p4.

2. Which motherboard brand and specific model would be recommended that contains plenty of features for future upgrade for less than $200 (see below)?

3. Where would one find a selection of power supply/case combinations?

4. Which is more important: hi quality ram or larger quantities of ram?

5. Is there a cheap (less than $50) pci graphics card that would work until I get enough money to upgrade?

Some features that I would like the motherboard to include are support for at least 6 sata and 6 ide hard drives, built-in firewire, and maybe dual gigabit lan. Basically, I am trying to build a system for less than $500 (excluding hard drives and monitor) that has the capability to be upgraded to a hi end system.

1) I'd go with AMD on this. Use a Sempron processor, but buy a motherboard that can be upgraded to an AthlonXP.

2) For motherboard, pick your other components and use newegg to select a model that fits your requirements. Then check the user ratings on that board.

3) Newegg. :)

4) I would suggest good quality ram with a good amount- think balance.

5) No. Use an AGP card- you can get a livable one for $45 from Newegg. Once again, just input your parameters and it will make suggestions. Newegg.com!

6) Forget the 6SATA drives; go for 4, which is standard in many mobo's. That way you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for something special.

Dan

dipique said:
1) I'd go with AMD on this. Use a Sempron processor, but buy a motherboard that can be upgraded to an AthlonXP.
...why would you want to go from a newer, more supported (and optionally 64 bit proc), to something not even made anymore?

Get a Socket 754 Sempron 64. They're the same price as the 32 bit ones.

Thanks for the quick replies!

About the graphics card - is agp going to be replace by pci express or is it staying around for a long while?

On the processor - would socket 939 be preferred to 754 or are they comparable and would the 939 be more upgradable in the future?

Is there a specific brand motherboard that you recommend?

Thanks

`steve

PCI express is the new thing. Because it's hot swappable and has few physical connections, it's most likely going to be the next USB. It's incredibly fast and doesn't have significant cable limitations. May as well jump on the bandwagon early. :)

I'd go with socket 939, but the difference isn't huge. For pentiums, I'd go with an Intel, for AMD... I've gotten a couple good Foxconn's, but I only recently started dealing with AMD, so I'd suggest checking user reviews on Newegg to see what works and what doesn't.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom