Help for a rookie builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcesFull

Beta member
I've got a couple of questions on a new build. I've built one machine before, but that was 5 years ago, so I know just enough to get into trouble.

Here's background:

MOBO: Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
2 IDE drives: DVD-RW and DVD-ROM
1 SATA harddrive (Hitachi Deskstar T7K250)
MOBO onboard sound + soundcard (Chaintech - AV 710).

Question 1: I have 2 IDE channels to connect 2 IDE drives (DVD drives above) - IDE 1 and IDE 2. Does it matter whether I just use one channel (and one cable), making one DVD the master and the second a slave on the same channel, or would it be better to have each drive on its own IDE channel as the master. (BTW, I've connected my SATA harddrive to the SATA1 connection).

Question 2: I've installed a soundcard (see above) and it has 2 separate 4 pin connectors for "cd in" and "aux in". In addition to the data cable, each DVD has a 4 pin and a 2 pin connection (neither is power, which is a separate 4 pin). Do I need to connect each DVD drive to the soundcard with these 4 pin connectors for sound to go from the DVD to the speakers, or is the data cable sufficient?

Thanks for helping a rookie.

AcesFull

AcesFull said:
I've got a couple of questions on a new build. I've built one machine before, but that was 5 years ago, so I know just enough to get into trouble.

Here's background:

MOBO: Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
2 IDE drives: DVD-RW and DVD-ROM
1 SATA harddrive (Hitachi Deskstar T7K250)
MOBO onboard sound + soundcard (Chaintech - AV 710).

Question 1: I have 2 IDE channels to connect 2 IDE drives (DVD drives above) - IDE 1 and IDE 2. Does it matter whether I just use one channel (and one cable), making one DVD the master and the second a slave on the same channel, or would it be better to have each drive on its own IDE channel as the master. (BTW, I've connected my SATA harddrive to the SATA1 connection).

Question 2: I've installed a soundcard (see above) and it has 2 separate 4 pin connectors for "cd in" and "aux in". In addition to the data cable, each DVD has a 4 pin and a 2 pin connection (neither is power, which is a separate 4 pin). Do I need to connect each DVD drive to the soundcard with these 4 pin connectors for sound to go from the DVD to the speakers, or is the data cable sufficient?

Thanks for helping a rookie.

AcesFull

OK, i'm not completely sure on these but here they are.

1.) I would put both of the Drives on the Same IDE channel, set the top one as master and bottom as slave.

2.) I don't believe that those connections are necessary anymore as everything is sent digitally, but don't quote me on that. I'd just leave them unconnected and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom