Help replacing a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I have an older desktop that needs a new power supply. I took out the old one (Raidmax 350Watt). Not too knowledgable on power supplies, but I know this one Im replacing has a standard 20 pin connector and also a smaller 4 pin connector. Can I just get any power supply thats 350watts and above that has the same 20pin/4pin connectors?

Also, since the power supply is a bit old, how can I tell if its ATX12V or not? Can I replace it with an ATX12V if its not currently?

Thanks!

Yes you can, i believe the newer versions of the ATX power supplies just have an extra connector (4 pin) in addition to the 20 pin + 4 connector.

As long as it is ATX and around 350 watts (not sure of the setup so you might be able to go with less power) and it has the right connectors (Molex vs Sata, 20 pin vs 24 pin) you'll be fine.

Check your local computer shop, i know there is one down near me that sells old power supplies they get out of repaired / recycled computers for really cheap. Like 400 watt ones for 10 bucks.

Yes you can, i believe the newer versions of the ATX power supplies just have an extra connector (4 pin) in addition to the 20 pin + 4 connector.

As long as it is ATX and around 350 watts (not sure of the setup so you might be able to go with less power) and it has the right connectors (Molex vs Sata, 20 pin vs 24 pin) you'll be fine.

Check your local computer shop, i know there is one down near me that sells old power supplies they get out of repaired / recycled computers for really cheap. Like 400 watt ones for 10 bucks.

Great, thanks for the reply. So does that mean I just leave that extra 4-pin connector unplugged? I only have room for the 20-pin and then the 4-pin on my mobo.

Ya just leave it unplugged. If you can, try to find a power supply that has the extra 4 pins separate. Newer power supplies usually have that extra 4 pin connector actually connected to the 20 pin connector (since i believe most P4 and beyond require it), so be careful. It won't hurt anything, but it may be a pain trying to get it to fit in the connector with those extra pins there.

Power is power, as long as you have the right connectors it won't matter - they are all different shapes and sizes for a reason, to ensure people don't use the wrong ones.

Unclip the 4 pin from the 20 pin virtually every psu is adaptable like so
psuCable.jpg

The next issue is to get enough Molex or Sata plugs to power everything given the age I would assume you would need molex which are these
tutorial-4pin_molex_power_conn.jpg

SATA is the newer standard
SATA_power_cable.jpg

The final thing is the cpu power which comes in either a 8pin or 4 pin form factor most psu's have them either clippable together or one is extended off of the other. The port for this is by the backplate connectors on the edge of the board.
12v.jpg

I assume that you don't have a modern gfx card that needs an extra power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom