HElp..Question Re New TB Hard Drive Saving Files To IT???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathalb4

Solid State Member
I am running my system on windows Vista Ultimate. I have the oS running on a 160gb HD. I have just bought a 1TB internal Hd and am formatting it through windows as i type.
I intend using this TB to store my Media and pictures.

My Question is this... IF in the future I decide to install a new operating system on this PC or if I get a new PC.. Will I loose The Information I intend saving on the TB Hard Drive as I Formatted It through this current Vista Sytem?

You can use Gparted to shrink the existent partition so you'll be able to create a new one and install the OS on it.

i dont wish to do that.. i just want to use it as a storage facility for my media files.. and keep my operating system on the original 160 hard drive??

Your media and files on the 1TB will be fine, even if you wipe Vista and install a different OS. Media and (generic) files are static and are read by the OS or other programs. It would not matter whether it was Vista, or if you installed 7, or even if you installed a flavor of Linux. All of them would be able to see and read the media and files.

Any programs you install on the 1TB drive will be rendered useless by removing Vista or installing a new OS on the main 160GB drive, however.

Thank You Trotter and farinha...
one more question.. if i do a back up of my operating sytem to the new hd and place the new hd in a new pc and decide to try to install the back up to the new pc will it work or will it have all the drivers from the old pc (motherboard etc on it) (I use Acronis True Image to back up my system if this helps)

You can always unplug the 1TB drive when you do a new install just to be sure nothing happens to it.

farinha.. i had to format the new hard drive in order for my system to recognise it,....in fact it is currently formatting now in preparation for use..

sorry farinha... i understand.. you mean when im formatting for a new os in the future not to format the 1tb drive as slaymate says above..

Cathalb4 said:
one more question.. if i do a back up of my operating sytem to the new hd and place the new hd in a new pc and decide to try to install the back up to the new pc will it work or will it have all the drivers from the old pc (motherboard etc on it) (I use Acronis True Image to back up my system if this helps)
That's a tricky question, actually. It can be done, but it takes some preparation first. If you are running XP, you can either perform a repair installation once the drive is in the other computer, or you could use Sysprep beforehand (but the backup would have to be running as the main OS at the time). With Vista (and presumably 7) you should be able to still use Sysprep, but I have not tested it out yet.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Down...etup-How_to_SYSPREP_a_Windows_XP_PC_setup.pdf

Do you mean the backup would have to be running as the main operating system on the new pc? Would the drivers not conflict? im going to read the link you sent.. thankyou..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom