HELP! New Slave HDD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
I have added a new slave drive, and removed the jumper totally as most guides online said so to do to 'slave' a Maxtor, but has resulted with no success?
Why do HDD not come with instructions, soooo ANNOYING!?!?!

PC booted twice no problem, and drive was not seen in My Computer as D:, but is seen in Device Manager, and also initial black screen prior to boot.
Suddenly now PC is failing to boot at all, HELP, HELP.......
I have entered, but it has failed to auto-detect this new slave HDD.

Drive details: IDE (PATA) 320Gb Maxtor Diamonmax 21 HDD (p/n STM3320620A), actually made by Seagate - I cannot find this model on either manufacturers website!!

Please help....

I don't know where you heard to leave the jumper off..

How many drives do you have? I'll assume you have 2, the old (primary drive) and your new drive. You want to (if not already) put the jumper as the master on your first drive and leave the jumper on slave, or in most cases the middle set of pins. :D

I beleive it works this way: newer sata drives use the mboard connection/location as its primary and secondary order.

Older IDE drives you have to use the jumpers to tell the mboard which is which...

As well, you will have to format that drive.

I eventually got PC to boot, by experimenting with jumper positions, it boots with jumper positioned in different places. But even then PC occasionally fails to boot. I have been advised to use no jumper, by vendor for maxtor HDD.
Still stuck...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom