help with new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyson_walker

Beta member
hey guys im in the process of selecting parts for building my first computer, im not very knowledgeable with it so im not sure if this works, i have selected parts from the msy website pricelist and here is what i've come up with.

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55-LX - 129$
PROCESSOR: core i5-650 - 220$
RAM: 4G Kit DDR3 1600 G.Skill-Ripjaws - 140$
HD: Seagate SATA 250g - 55$
GRAPHICS CARD: asus 1gb 5750 - 167$
DVD: benq sata dvdrw - 35$
CASE: Superflower sf-900bk - 119$
PSU: thermaltake litepower 500 psu - 63$

any suggestions or changes i should make would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
tyson

That seems like a pretty nice system, but I do have one thing.

Outside of the slightly higher clock of the core i5 650 and its feature of turbo boost, the core i3 530/540 is basically the same thing, but much cheaper. Since the i5 650 is a dual core chip,it doesn't really benefit from the turbo boost feature much at all; so now you are left with just a slightly faster chip.

So if you are worried about clock speed, get the core i3 540, which is at 3.06 Ghz and save yourself $60 that you don't need to spend. Also, at the very least you could just overclock the core i3 540/530 slightly to the core i5 650 speeds, but there really isn't much point because those chips are still crazy fast.

With that money you could pocket and buy a game or two, or upgrade another component.
Happy Building.

yea i agree. i would go with an i3, or take the money that you would've spent on the i5 650 and get an i5 750 quad-core which should be right around the same price.

is the i5 750 much better than the i3 540?
i've checked the prices and i can get a 750 for the same as a 650, not sure why i didnt see that before.

Yeah, the i5 750 is worth it if you have the money for it.
When I built my system, I looked at my needs, and although I could afford the 750, I didn't get it because I didn't feel like I really needed the power.

If you want it or think you need it, go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom