Help For My New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTKTAC

Solid State Member
I stumbled onto this site and everyone here seems to have a ton of knowledge. I would like to take advantage of it.

I am not new to building PC's, but I think the last one was in 2005.

Since I don't work in the field, I need some help with a new build, as I find my current system is pretty much outdated, and I am not familiar with any of the current stuff.

I am not a gamer, but do like power and speed, so I suppose business use and internet lurking, some pictures and limited video are what my uses are. I am retiring in January 2010, and will have much more time to spend on my computer, so who knows what I may decide to use it for. I just hate to limit myself, but I think $'s will!!!

I have always used AMD CPU's and ASUS MOBO's with very good luck in the past, but do not have to stick with those brands.

As I had not planned on a new desktop right now (I want to build a laptop this summer 2010), I don't want to spend a fortune, but somewhere in the $500-$600 range.

This is what I am using now (my last build):

Windows XP Professional (SP3)
Athlon XP 2.07 Ghz
Asus A7N8X-E
1024 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX4000

Samsung 22” Monitor

Here is what I have for the new build:

CoolerMaster RE 690- KKN1-GP ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Antec TruePower TP750 Blue 750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 GB
Sony Optiarc SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
Windows 7 Home Premium

I will continue to use the monitor

And this is what I need:

MOBO
CPU
RAM
Graphics Card

Anything else I am leaving out?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
$196 w/free shipping

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retai
&
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/4G - Retail

$220 w/free shipping on RAM and $15 MIR card on mobo

Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$170 (has lifetime warranty)

Total = $586

I looked at the i5/i7 line, but they aren't cheap by any means, so that plus a mobo would kill your budget for a good graphics card.

You could go for less than a 4870, but you would be very hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck that would last you for quite a while.

Oh, and welcome to Tech-Forums.

Good find for an i5, Hefe. Looking here the difference in Passmark scores is negligible, 4165 vs 4162. The cost of the mobo is the biggest difference ($115 vs $150).

except clock for clock. i5 @ 2.67 while 965 @ 3.4

I wonder if that was ran with turbo boost on the i5 giving it an extra 533Mhz. Or if that would help with this particular benchmark. Hmmm. But I digress.

Regardless either setup will do you great.

I went with the i5...haven't ever had and Intel (well, and old Pentium), so thought I would try it.

Also ordered the GPU Trotter recommended.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Should be a great computer!!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom