Help Minimal Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

geforce8800

Banned
Ouch. The Packard-Hel... oops, Packard-Bell site offers very little actual info.

For starters, find what the wattage is on the power supply and go for whatever will work with it. the 6200 is a wimp of a card and is leaching off of the system memory. The CPU is a Prescott P4, so I seriously doubt the mobo could handle anything newer.

Bump your RAM up to 2GB if possible.

You best bet would be to hit eBay (possibly some etailers still have some Prescotts) and see if you can find one faster than your current one. There's not much else to be done for it.

I wouldn't upgrade the RAM, it will be useless in 6 months when DDR3 becomes what we now see DDR1 as.

Considering you have PCI-E your GPU would be portable not be a bad upgrade...but I still wouldn't do it, as I don't know how much of an advantage you'd see. The 8800 is already a much more recent piece of tech than your CPU, so I image there might already be bottle necking.

Put it in perspective. Fry's this week has an X2 245 and Motherboard for $69.99...

You could buy something like that and upgrade, but then your GPU would be holding you back, so you'd upgrade it, in the process likely requiring a new PSU, and eventually you start itching for DDR3 ram, and you've basically bought a whole new system. Small upgrades add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom