HELP ME!! Just built first comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bor3d

Solid State Member
okay so this is my story. i had an old computer and wanted something faster. So i bought a Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 Socket 775 Motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 and some Kingston DDR2 PC5300 2GB of RAM. when i connected my mouse and keyboard to the comp the caps lock light was on but the comp was off, so then i switched to a USB keyboard. also the PSU sounded like it was whining when i connected it to the wall. then i powered up the comp with the existing power supply (250W) it booted up to the bios and then it just shut down and my monitor started to smell like it was burning and the screen was flashing green. Now my monitor doesn't work, everytime i hook it up it is still green. i'm not sure if there's a short or something can someone help me? is my power supply overloaded and sending current through all the connections

Thank you

Hey bor3d
Welcome-to-TF.png

What graphic card are you using? And a 250W power supply is very weak. I'm guessing it was from your previous computer. Was your previous, a pre-built?

I would probably suggest buying a new quality power supply.

And seeing as you added the motherboard, RAM, and CPU to your previous computer, did you reformat and install a fresh copy of Windows?

fried my mobo? i tried turning it on again and my screen still gets a signal but no display

and i'm just using the integrated graphics card right now

and to b1gapl yeah it was my old psu and it was prebuilt. do i have to install my OS again? i had just reinstalled windows in like june.

and i have a IDE HDD and a IDE DVD+/-RW hooked up

and to b1gapl yeah it was my old psu and it was prebuilt. do i have to install my OS again?

Whenever you change the motherboard, you have to reinstall the OS. As the OS will only recognize the motherboard it was installed with.

oh man. could that have caused all my problems? and do you think i fried my mobo? is it possible for current to be sent from the mobo to the monitor through the VGA cable and mess up my monitor?

That might have caused it, along with the weak power supply. Without reinstalling the OS, the system won't boot with a new motherboard that it doesn't recognize.

dang...i'm out a monitor too...*sigh* how big of a power supply do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom