Help Me Customize a PC from Cyber Power or I Buy Power - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help Me Customize a PC from Cyber Power or I Buy Power

Ok, so my crappy Toshiba labtop and my old Dell desktop just aren't doing it for me, and I want a computer that better meets my needs. I do a wide range of things from Internet Surfing, Microsoft Word/Excel Processing, Corel X Painting w/ Wacom Tablet, and Gaming. So I want a computer that will meet my needs. I don't really need a high power gaming pc but a pc that can handle all of what I mention, and handle fairly new and upcoming games like the Sims 3, etc. pretty well. The catch is I want everything (including keyboard, mouse, and LCD screen) for under $1000, maybe just a tad over but not by more than $100. I kind of think a quad core would be nice, but I have no idea if an overclocked duo would be better. Anyways, I don't know much about computers so please help me. At least just give me some guidelines to go by, in fact anything or any comments would be helpful!! Thanks a million...

Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Help Me Customize a PC from Cyber Power or I Buy Power

Well I played with a few and this is what I found.

I do do setups with the Phenom II x3 720 proc. 4gb of ddr2 ram. GTS250 video card. 17" monitor for just under $1000

If you are going to buy a prebuilt computer the two sites you chose are your best options.

If you did want to build your own, It could be done for around $300 less with much better components.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 06-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

^^ I'll second this. You can also look around on newegg for prebuilts, they have some nice ones from those companies and others.

Though I will say you would save money building your own, it's up to you in the end.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ooooh, that $300 dollars would be nice. I have a relative that would be fully willing to build a computer for me, and is experienced on the subject. I might do it if somebody else on this site had a computer similar to what I'm asking for that works well, and I could imitate all of their parts. Could anybody point me to a build that would fit my needs, and I could imitate to build it myself?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Hickaricloud is the build master and uses the x3 720 himself. Give him a bit and he will whip you up a special recipe.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I can't find the pm button, where is it?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Working on one right now, give me a minute.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oops, sorry I sent you an e-mail. I didn't know you saw the post already.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Here's a little something I put together for you.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485FN1GP Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

Total comes to $902.71 after shipping, then you get 30 bucks back in MIRs.

Now this doesn't include a keyboard and mouse, since that's really a personal preference. We can recommend some. Basically, you have 100 bucks to spare and get something you really like. I would personally recommend the Logitech Wave Cordless kit.

Newegg.com - Logitech 920-000264 Black 104 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys USB Cordless Ergonomics Desktop Wave - Keyboards

EDIT: Also includes Vista.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oh, thank you so much Hikari. I really appreciate it. I hope to get this computer built by July up and running. I probably will get logitech's wave cordless kit. Ok, thanks again!!

Closed Thread