Help me build a PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2006, 02:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help me build a PC

I'm looking to get a new computer and from what I read you can build a nicer one for cheaper than what you buy one in the store for. I'm great with using computers, but when it comes to the actual hardware like memory and processors, I know nothing. I can put a dvd drive in a computer, but looking at memory on confuses the heck out of me with all the crazy numbers and words.

So can someone on here point me to what I need to get, like so-&-so memory from newegg...i hear it is a lot cheaper than buying from best buy or something.

I want to use it for...internet, burning dvds, playing games like a roller coaster tycoon 3(so semi-good graphics card), word processing and just other normal uses.

I already have a dvd-rom drive, dvd burner, monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse, speakers, software, firewire ports(if i can move them from my old computer to this one) so i'm just looking for the actual computer hardware. I would like to spend around $400 for all the rest of the parts. Is that dreaming or is that reasonable.

I don't need crazy stuff like 4 gb of memory and what not.
Around a 2-2.5ghz processor should be fine(i think, am i wrong?), 1-2gb of memory, 100-140gb hard drive, pretty decent video card, i don't know what else I need...Anyways you get the gist of what I am looking for...nothing super, but fairly decent.

If someone could build me one that would be GREAT!

Old 01-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I could build you a decent computer, but need to know where you are.
E-mail me at

Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to schulz269

Email me at we can talk over there and see what kind you are interasted in and how much money it well cost and then we well go from there.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to kiIIxthexIights

400 is kinda pushin it...
Closed Thread