Help me on a build? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to M733mhz
Default Help me on a build?

So I killed my old comp a while ago but being stupid and not careful with a screw driver one night. This morning, I bought an old server comp running on 2 pentium 2s for 25$ from my neighbor just so I could message people and keep up on things. I'm making a list of things and I wanted to see if there was anything I may have over looked or anything conflicting in my system. So far my choices are as follows

motherboard -

Processor -

An antec PSU

A western digital HDD just for storage and I'm gonna look for a good EVGA card when it comes down to ordering. and I have an idea of the case I'm going to get.

One of the things I was worried about is will the bios on that board link straight up with the 4000+? Or will I have to spend a bunch of time trying to get that to work?
I already have RAM, A sound card and DVD/CD drives. If anyone can look this over it'd be alot of help. I know I didn't give alot of info but some things may change since I won't be ordering this stuff for a month or so, so I'm sure prices will change on alot of things, thanks.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member (again)
Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

It should, but why are you using 939? AM2 is the new socket, and there's a good chance 939 will be phased out soon.

Also, make sure you have the right kind of RAM.

Debian Support Forums!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to M733mhz

I'm going 939 because I'm not one of the people that has to be up on technology every 5 minutes when someone releases a new processor. That 4000+ with a 1MB L2 Cache will tear through anything I throw at it. Not to mention look at the money I save by going that route. Anyhow, what would you consider to be the right kind of RAM?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to zerodayATK

m .. waht part of south jerz? ima local ... lol ... right kind? you can only use ddr... anything will do for you . .prolly 512 1 gb of anything value sellect

Closed Thread