Help - Last Minute Christmas Present - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1
Exclamation Help - Last Minute Christmas Present

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so I want to buy my son a new video card (one with a TV tuner) so that he can hook it up to the bigscreen he's bringing with him when he moves out next month. This post might be a little long but I'll structure it as best I can.

His PC: He's got a Dell Dimension 4600 3 GhZ Pentium 4 with 1 GB ram and his current video card is a GeForce Fx5200 128mb (PCI).

His TV: Hitachi 51f510.

The targeted video card: For 199 canadian, I can get the ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 pro 128mb.

Alright, so now that you guys have the details, I'll move on to my questions.

1. How much better is the 9800 pro when compared to the Fx5200 in terms of gaming?

2. What level is the 9800 pro at right now compared to other cards? Value-wise? Graphically, mostly.

3. If I get the AIW concept properly, basically, all he has to do is connect the provided wires from the 9800 to the back of his TV in one of the many slots and he can basically watch on the TV instead of on the monitor... and play his games on it too.

4. The provided wiring is only 6 feet long so how much would the same wiring cost if we're talking about 10-20 feet, per say.

5. Does the TV being widescreen make any difference?

6. How is the overall picture quality for those of you who have used similar products or the same ones? If he wants to watch a TV show he downloaded in HD, will it show up in HD on the TV screen? Because personally, I don't know whether or not it's the cable providers fault, but that Hitachi doesn't earn many points on its standard definition PQ, but the HD quality rivals almost any TV I've seen so far.

Thanks for any amount of help.
__________________

pyale is offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Help - Last Minute Christmas Present

Quote:
Originally posted by pyale
1. How much better is the 9800 pro when compared to the Fx5200 in terms of gaming?
the 9800 is roughly 4 times as good

Quote:
Originally posted by pyale
2. What level is the 9800 pro at right now compared to other cards? Value-wise? Graphically, mostly.
value wise, it's a great card to get.
the top card on the market is about 4 times as good as the 9800 Pro however (but costs about US$750, so it aint cheap)


Quote:
Originally posted by pyale
3. If I get the AIW concept properly, basically, all he has to do is connect the provided wires from the 9800 to the back of his TV in one of the many slots and he can basically watch on the TV instead of on the monitor... and play his games on it too.
yes, you should be able to connect any TV to this card.


Quote:
Originally posted by pyale
4. The provided wiring is only 6 feet long so how much would the same wiring cost if we're talking about 10-20 feet, per say.
well, it depends where you shop.


Quote:
Originally posted by pyale
5. Does the TV being widescreen make any difference?
being widescreen should alter what resolutions you use, but it won't change picture quality.

Quote:
Originally posted by pyale
6. How is the overall picture quality for those of you who have used similar products or the same ones? If he wants to watch a TV show he downloaded in HD, will it show up in HD on the TV screen? Because personally, I don't know whether or not it's the cable providers fault, but that Hitachi doesn't earn many points on its standard definition PQ, but the HD quality rivals almost any TV I've seen so far.
not quite sure what you're asking...
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 563
Default

Well if you're able to get one, a 6600GT is fairly similar, but better and sometimes cheaper.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2277&p=3
^ There's a benchmark review and such between the two cards.
Picture quality of the 6600gt is great, don't know about the 9800pro.
Either one you pick you should be happy with, though.
__________________
PcMe is offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,241
Send a message via AIM to Powerslave
Default

the 6600gt doesn't have a tv tuner.
Powerslave is offline  
Old 12-24-2005, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 563
Default

LOL my fault, sorry
__________________
PcMe is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.