Help with GPU driver update

you are upgrading software... it goes in the software trouble shooting thread...

Well, i dont see a section in the software are called "trouble shooting" . So, which software area are you referring to? As the first one specifically states it is for Windows=
"Microsoft Windows and Software (32 Viewing)
Questions and discussions about Microsoft Windows, as well as other Windows software."

This does not seems like a place for nvidia driver problems now does it. Therefore, I was not sure where to put this. Either way....I appreciate the help- if you wish to change it - please do so. I apologize if I offend by starting the thread in the wrong area...

I am now on another PC - the driver sweeper had no trouble cleaning the AMD display area. It asked if I wish to reboot- and I did so, no problems. Next- did analyze , then clean the nvidia display area- it is still running , but does not seem to be doing anything = 10+ minutes now. So, how long should this take- or should I force "end task"? and try again - or does this mean a clean windows install for sure? Also is F11= to boot into safe mode? or is it F5?

Sean no offense man but you are kind of being a douche about it. I have seen people put game request threads in the hardware area and I constantly see laptop threads NOT specifically in the laptop sub-forum.

To clear it up problems like this either go in the Windows sub-forum you were talking about, or hardware troubleshooting as this problem can go in either to be specific.

To answer your question, it shouldn't take that long. You can try it in safe mode which is F8, and if it doesn't work it is pretty much a for sure fresh install.

ok - even in safe mode driver sweeper fails to clean the nvidia display area or completely clean the nvidia physx area. However, when in safe mode I went into the display adapter and asked it to update and it actually did update or change the driver to 290.36 and the 306.97 drivers are no longer in the program list. I have never done a reinstall of windows and so will attempt everything else. Will i loose all data/games/etc. if I do clean re-install? Also- how go I go about doing a clean re-install. Obviously you cant give me step by step instructions- are there u-tube or other sources telling how to do it? I have win7 64 bit PRO - if that matters any.

I retried downloading 310.90 driver update and got about 1/2 to go thru- the Nvidia update 1.11.3 failed, the physX 9.12.1031 failed, the graphics driver and HD audio installed. hmm...

So, now in the program list all the Nvidia reads 310.90 = updated ,except for the nvidia update which remains unchanged. I still read driver version 290.36 when opening the nvidia control panel.

Seems like I am not the only one with this problem:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371763

Last edited:
Basically you backup anything you want to keep. Files, documents, pictures, music, game saves, whatever to another drive. When you do a clean install you have to format your drive otherwise it's pointless because it isn't "clean". You have to reinstall your games and programs.

After you are done backing up it is as simple as sticking your Windows DVD in (or if you want to make a flash drive you can), boot to the DVD or flash drive, click the install button, accept EULA, click custom advanced install, delete partition on the drive you want to install Windows on (obviously not the one you backed up to, actually I recommend unplugging that one), create partition and click yes when it asks about a system partition, click on the bigger partition (primary) and click install. Sit back and let it do its thing, then when you are finally in Windows install drivers, your programs, and continue as normal.

I was updating my last post when you posted - I do not have 2 drives in this PC. Steam games should be saved in steam, don't have any work stuff on this PC , emails are not important, so not too much to download to a flash drive. OK, then Find the dam windows CD and just reinstall like it was the first time - it will automatically overwrite the other install? Not sure what you mean by " delete partition on the drive you want to install Windows on" or due to the fact that I only have one drive does this not apply to my situation ?

Well last ditch effort- went to MSI website and they tell me the 306.97 is the latest and greatest driver- so try to reinstall it from their site thinking maybe somehow it will work- but no- same thing happened. graphics and audio driver download/install and all else fails.

Bummer I will loose my modded skyrim game . no way to remember all the mods, etc.

Last edited:
If you are using the Nvidia update program then uninstall that and download the full driver package from their site. I have never used their updater program and keep it and the 3D BS uninstalled. Maybe that's why I never have any problems because it is as buggy as the one AMD uses to update.

If you have a large enough flash drive you can back up to that too. Your whole valve folder can be moved and so can your Skyrim folder. To save Skyrim all you need is the save folder (in my documents/my games) and then the whole Skyrim folder (which should be in your Steam folder too).

As for partition, every drive has a partition, sometimes more than one. When you get to the drive screen during install you will see what I mean. Click on the drive and simple click delete partition, when that is done click on new and it will make a new one already formatted.

For future reference use Nexus Mod Manager.

I can make a demonstration video if you like.

i do use nexus mod manager for skyrim mods. will it be saved there? and yes I think that the nvidia 3d andn other software is indeed the problem - I started having trouble in the fall - after a update by nvidia. Apparently I did have the "right" driver according the MSI website- who is the manufacturer of the GPU. Upon reinstall of windows I think I will just download the graphics driver only from them or nvidia and forget the rest of the stuff. However, since i use my 50 plasma for a monitor the resizing the display software is really nice so the display fits properly and uses the entire screen.

YES, understanding now. Other stuff is going crazy so I will just call it a night and redownload/clean install windows tomorrow- thank you for you patients.....your the best

Last edited:
That should all be in the actual driver itself under NVCP. Just download straight from the site and select custom install. Only install PhysX, HD audio, and the main driver. Leave the rest out.

For Nexus I think there is a way to save your settings or something. I don't have it installed right now so can't check.

Back
Top Bottom