Help with a Dinosaur Gateway GT5676

snuggler40

Solid State Member
ts a Gateway GT5676. This was one of the best out of the box gaming computers 7 years ago when I bought it. I am not a gamer. I use it for surfing,and downloading lots of large files and converting video from one format to another. I have it connected to a 32" monitor VGA and a 60" Sharp quatron lcd. HD 1080p
Here are the specs:
AMD Phenom 9600, 64-bit Quad Core Processor
Each core operates at 2.3GHz
2MB L3 cache
3600MHz system bus
Chipset - AMD 780G with hybrid graphics
Memory - 4GB DDR2, 667 MHz, (PC2-5300) dual channel memory
Hard Drive (2) 320gb 7200 RPM, SATA II 2 hard drives
Video Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200
Audio Integrated 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
Power Supply 300 watt
Add-in Card Slots
·One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface)
·One PCI Express ×1
·Two PCI conventional
I have upgraded this tower once before. I changed the PSU to 600w and added a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 2gb. Due to dust filling the CPU heatsink it has overheated and shutdown a couple times. The GeForce GT 610 2gb fan does not even turn to my knowledge. The last few times it has shut down I have had to remove the monitor cables to make the machine power on.

At this point most everyone reading this is thinking scrap it and buy a new one. I was about to until I found another exact machine. The only difference is mine has vista home premium and the new one has windows 7.

My plan is use the memory from old one to add to newer one maxing it out at 8mb.

Moving 600watt PSU to newer machine (unless it might be causing some of the overheating ? ) At this point I would buy another PSU capable of handling the load easily.

What are some good Video card suggestions that are compatible options for this setup? How about Power supply?

I will also have 4 320gb drives and a 1tb. I believe the system only supports up to 2 tb.. What combo would be best? One 320 has win 7 on it another has Vista which I am use to, can I just plug it the vista hard drive in place of the win 7 HD ?

Thank you I am sure I will have other questions but my brain is way to tired.

Well with the scrap it comment you'd be right. Transcoding takes a lot of CPU power and it's something worth upgrading right there.

To properly answer your other questions I need information. Firstly, why haven't you kept your machine clean? More than likely your original machine only needed to be dusted and the CPU repasted to keep from overheating. I have a Pentium 1 machine that still runs simply because I keep it clean.
Secondly, I need to know what exact power supply this 600w unit is you're talking about before I possibly recommend something else.

As for GPU, well what you do only requires something to be put on the screen. GT 610, GT 720, whatever would do fine. I personally would also chose the Windows 7 install over the Vista install.

Also, sorry to nitpick but 7 years ago that wouldn't have been the best out of box gaming machine simply because it doesn't even come with a graphics card. Even if it did in 2008 Phenom 2 was out and a lot of OEMs used the first X4 8** chips.

Well if I were to buy a new CPU I would have just scrapped it.

It hasn't been kept clean due to it sitting in a spot that requires me to get on my knees to disconnect all cables. With knees that are bone to bone this is not fun as well as a neck that is fused together. Even with that I guess we can call it being lazy.

I will have to pull the tower to find which 600w PSU it is its been in there for a few years and the box is long gone.

As far as my statement on it being 1 of the best out of the box gaming computers, that is what reviews said at that time but it has never played a game as I am not a gamer.

I am not trying to make my newer machine compete with a new one. I just know it will need more than the 300w PSU and a new graphics card to perform as well as or better than the old one.

What is there that makes you think I would be better off with windows 7 ? I would have to learn a new OS and reinstall quite a bit of apps . so what would I gain.

Well if I were to buy a new CPU I would have just scrapped it.
Doesn't really need to be done. You can more than likely put a Phenom 2 CPU in that board and continue using what you have.

It hasn't been kept clean due to it sitting in a spot that requires me to get on my knees to disconnect all cables. With knees that are bone to bone this is not fun as well as a neck that is fused together. Even with that I guess we can call it being lazy.
My 2 lower vertebrae have been scraping since I was a teenager so I know them feels. I keep my PC on a table always because of that. Do this and use some canned air and a shop vac to blow the dust out with the canned air and the shop vac to suck up what's in the air. (reduces allergy flare up). More than likely it's all your current machine needs.

I will have to pull the tower to find which 600w PSU it is its been in there for a few years and the box is long gone.
I ask because it's vital. Although more than likely fine, better to be safe than sorry.

As far as my statement on it being 1 of the best out of the box gaming computers, that is what reviews said at that time but it has never played a game as I am not a gamer.
That's just me being nitpicky, not that it really matters. I just wanted to inform that you were doofed :p

I am not trying to make my newer machine compete with a new one. I just know it will need more than the 300w PSU and a new graphics card to perform as well as or better than the old one.
Not particularly. Any GPU you get would only need to be a low power card, and probably won't be loaded at all. A CPU taking only about 100w full blast and a GPU sitting there will only load about half the PSU.

What is there that makes you think I would be better off with windows 7 ? I would have to learn a new OS and reinstall quite a bit of apps . so what would I gain.
Windows 7 handles resources better and is easier on RAM usage and background tasks. Basically speaking as long as you don't bog the machine down with crap it'll run better with the 7 install than Vista. There's nothing new to learn in 7.
Replies put in bold.

Devil in the details they say I have replaced the PSU twice and the current one is Dynex dx- 400wps so I will want to upgrade it and the graphics card to get whatever I can out of this machine

Thx

That Dynex dx- 400wps won't be good with a video card (especially if it's a couple years old). You'll need a quality brand name PSU, like a Corsair or Seasonic...ect.

Would either of these work? would this be over kill? With it being a refurb its half price.

CORSAIR RM Series RM650 650W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply Factory Refurbished $54.99

for only $5 more $59.99 I can get the RM750 of course I would have to at least check dimensions to make sure it would fit. Then in 2 years I could use it in my next machine.

So now what Graphics card should Give me maximum power. Best card for it is ??? but if I can find a better one that I could use in my next build for close to the same price (like I did with the PSU) I would be interested in that as well. It comes down to me not knowing how to pick the card.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
that 650W will be good.
The top of the line vid card is the $$GTX 980$$ but for about $200. less you can get a Sapphire R9 280X tri-X, which shows very good benchmarks and is still a good card for the money, it will run hotter than the Nvidia card

Edit: you'll have to measure your case to see if any of these cards will fit
GTX 980 is 10.5" long
R9 280X is 12.126" long

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom