Help with deciding on a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsend

Solid State Member
Hi guys im looking for some advice on a processor for gaming.
Is the intel I7 980x extreme really worth the extra $1200 over the intel I7 950.

If anyone has any recommendations on a company around the brisbane area that could put together a soild gaming pc for me let me know.

Thanks

For the average gamer/user a 920 or 930 is plenty. Both can be overclocked very comfortably to at least 4Ghz. I'd say spend $80 on a good aftermarket heatsink, spend $200 on an i7 920 and OC it to 4Ghz, and you'll get better performance already than a stock 950 or 980x would get you.

The 950 is priced about the same as the 920 and 930 (if you can find them), it may be $20 more.

I would go with the 950 and a good aftermarket heatsink.

Not worth it by a long shot! They're overcharging you, and you're getting some sub-optimal parts. Save yourself a few hundred while getting a better system anyway by building it yourself. It's not hard, and we can help you ;)
If you post your budget, someone can knock together a gaming beast from Newegg for you

ok that would be great, id say $2000-2500 would be a comfortable price at the moment, i have a little experience upgrading components in my old pc (graphics card and ram was it really)
what is Newegg? are they a parts supplier or somthing. a gaming beast sounds good to me lol

much appreciate the help Soul

Sweet, that price range will do nicely :devil:
I'm at work atm, I'll put together a build for you when I get home if nobody's put up one already

oh, another stralian. Newegg won't work for you then, I'll get the parts from MSY. Is Slacks Creek too far for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom