Help with CPU and GPU upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzychug

Solid State Member
I've been an avid Wow player for 3+ years now, tanked everything from Karazhan to Black Temple, yadayada. I'm not really looking forward for the expansion though.

Well, I've finally seen Warhammer Online in person, and it looked so badass, and I guess I'll be moving onto WAR soon BUT...............

I check on 'Can you run it?' My RAM and CPU speed is fine, but my Graphics Card fails the test. And my CPU itself just barely passes.

Since I live in a cave, and know nothing about PC hardware, this is where you guys help me:

This is what 'Can you run it?' tells me:

CPU
Minimum: 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 processor or equivalent
You Have: 2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz

CPU SpeedMinimum: 2.5 GHz
You Have: 3.00 GHz Performance Rated at 5.40 GHz

System RAMMinimum: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista I'm on XP BTW.
You Have: 2.0 GB

Video CardMinimum: A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900, 6600-6800, 7600+ / ATI Radeon 9500-9800, X300-X850, X1300+ / Intel X4500). Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slowly. GeForce FX series not supported with Vista.
You Have: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) (GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM))

And this is what it claims: FAIL: Sorry, your video card does not meet this minimum requirement. Upgrade to a more powerful video card will make all your applications look better. Click the 'We Recommend' button to see some great options.

Now where you guys come in: Should I upgrade both my Graphics card and CPU? Or just the graphics card? I don't do much PC gaming or anything else intensive on my computer other than Microsoft Word and the SPSS program for school, so I really won't be needing insane specs, just enough to make WAR run nicely. I have a 15 inch monitor, so resolution doesn't mean much to me. I honestly don't need much more for a college dorm. What card do you guys recommend? I have a PCI-E on my computer, so any card that works with that will work for me, but I'm clueless as to what card to buy?

Thanks for helping someone from the Stone Age.

I don't know what you mean by model, but here is my computer and the components:

?????????????????????

I know I have a 300W powersupply.

RE: The card you posted, will Warhammer Online run with that card? The WAR website claims that only nVidia and Radeon cards will work? Will it run with that HIS card? Sorry for being so clueless.

I was recommended this card by a friend Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Which do you rec and why? As far as installing the card, would I need to remove my current card? or Just stick the newly bought one in the available PCI-E slot?

EDIT: Fixed links.

If ur budget is around 200 bucks then get the hd4850. If it is less than 100 bucks get hd3850. Both will easily run the game.

Your motherboard can't handle the Core2Duo's.
Intel Pentium® 4, Celeron® D or Pentium D processors

With a 300W PSU, you will probably have to upgrade it as well.

Just say NO to the 8600. Trust me on that one. Stryker's suggestions, as well as Puddle's are good. The 4670 looks to be a little beast of a card.

The 4670 is a good card and will run Warhammer well.

It beats the 8600gt by quite a bit. Also HIS is the manufacturer of the card, not the designer.

For example my card is manufactured by Sapphire, but is a Radeon card.

Also you will probably need a new power supply, this one is good: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

or if you want a bit cheaper: Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA430 430W ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Both have a strong 12v rail, which is the real way to measure power supplies, and it should be able to handle any upgrades you make for a few years.

I don't think I'll be needing any more upgrades except for the card for Warhammer. If I do, I know where to come for help.............

I think I'll go with the 4670. How can I know if I'll need a new power supply? The info on the card claims I only need 300W, and the reviews claim that one of the pros of that card is that it doesn't suck much power.

Well the HD 4670 is pretty good because it doesn't need a power connector and is a pretty good card already....

As for that PSU, I don't know its specs so I have no idea if that card will have any problems running it....

but knowing Gateway (or any manufacturer) they cheap on the PSU so it can barely run your current rig...

These are the ATI Radeon cards that work for WAR:

ATI Radeon(TM) series

* 9500, 9600, 9800
* X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
* X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
* 2400, 2600, 2900
* 3650, 3850, 3870
* 4850, 4870

Will the 4670 work? It is not listed.

EDIT: If someone could recommend a card that will work, with the price-range of under 100$, that would be excellent.

EDIT2: What's the biggest difference between nVidia GeForce and ATI Radeon?

HD 4670 is pretty new card, came out after Warhammer did in fact.. and its better than the other cards you have on that list (except the last row)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom