Help choosing RAID controller for Raptors

Status
Not open for further replies.

icekreme1002

Beta member
Hey there guys,
This is my 1st post in a computer forum and I'm still semi newbie so please be nice!!!
I have done heaps of searching and basically have become more confused so I'm after some help setting up the HDD's for my gaming rig.

System -
CPU AMD Athlon 5600
MB MSI K9n platinum
RAM 4gb Corsair 6400 C4
Graphics MSI 8800GT OC (512mb)
Sound Creative Fatal1ty
HDD internal 3 36gb WD raptors
HDD Storage 400gb Samsung

Until yesterday I was running two of the raptors in RAID 0 using the mb's raid controller.
All was working fine but recently I have been having regular problems with file corruptions on the drives.
Research tells me this is a common problem with the Nvidia drivers so I went a purchased a 250gb 16mb cache Seagate HDD (so much slower lol) to keep me going while I sort it all out and figure out which raid card/controller to go for...

Like I said I'm new so I would also appriciate help with HDD configuration.
Which option would be best for gaming and overall system performance.

3 Raptors RAID 0 (OS, games, apps)
1 Raptor (OS) 2 Raptors RAID 0 (page file, apps, games)
Or some other setup???

And onto controllers.....

Help!!!!! lol

Everyone says hardware cards are better than software based cards, fair enough, but im not operating 20 drives or a server or anything. My raid will be a max of 3 raptors.
The reviews on cheaper cards like the Silicon image SiI3114 are great and I was wondering how much CPU performance I could expect to loose using one of these cards???

I realize that 4 raptors in raid 0 with one of these is useless because the PCI slot cant handle such a large data transfer rate, but at most I'd plan on a RAID of 3 which would be pretty much optimal.

If CPU performance would really lag that much, I have also been looking at these two cards...

3Ware AMCC 9550SX-4LP and the LSI 8344ELP

Both seem great but are at least 5 times the price and for the 36GB raptors I dont need the SATAII capability....

Please help me decide!!!!

Thanks for any help or tips guys!!!
(and don't worry, the AMD cpu and MB are probably next to go)

Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom