help choosing a processor..

Status
Not open for further replies.
my build is for a gaming computer.
ive heard that Oc can make you save money,and that intel is a good overclocker.

many guys here go for AMD, but do you guys overclock??

well just to add my little post to this.

about 4 years ago i got my first pc and at the time i decided on a gameing pc and got a 2.8 amd athlon single core cpu combined with a radion 9600

with out over clock it is just at the lower end games now with most games not even thinking about looking at the gpu

i have never had a problem with this in all the little things i have seen wrong the cpu was not one of them

so my option would be to go for the amd, may i suggest one of these 2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition 5000+ 2.60GHz (Retail AM2) - Aria Technology

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.20GHz (Retail AM2) - Aria Technology

both black edition so a good powerful after market fan would do it nice

the e2160 can hit 3.37ghz on air and is like 79 bucks on the egg. also i have a 4000+ brisbane that is riding on 2.6 and temps around 40C which is really good and has potential to go a bit higher. also my cpu isn't on stock, its on an AFP pro 64 which is 20 bucks if you buy it with the 4000+ which is 65.

I still haven't had a chance to crank up the 6000+ X2 due to what happened with the first board on the new build here. The first board quit after 3 days to make that story short. If you go with the 6000+ or 6400+ X2 model the Zalman 9700 is the winner for cpu cooling. As for long term constant ocing then you'll see many going for water cooling setups.

All i know is I have an x2 6400+ and for me it performs very well/ I noticed an immediate difference form my athlon 64 3000+ right when i first installed windows. It's a great cpu. I have it OCed a little bit right now, but I need to get a new PSU to go higher because it doesn't have enough juice. only a 380watt raidmax. but to be honest, you don't really need to oc it anyways. It comes fast stock. Think of it as an an "already" OCed cpu.

The difference in speed between the 6000+ and 6400+ X2 models is minor in comparison to how that would be seen on an older Socket A board. I went from an XP2600+ to the 3000+ and then Atholon XP3200+ on one board.

The 200mhz difference between the 3000+ and 3200+ was noticed there. That was prior to HyperTransport and other changes made between then and now seen on an AM2 system.

I would get this
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz (Retail 775) - Aria Technology

It is even cheaper than 5000+

EDIT: you can also get E6750, it performs slightly faster than 6400+, and it cost the same
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz (Retail 775) - Aria Technology

if he wanted to save more, couldnt he just get the e6550 instead of the e6750?
the e6550 is cheaper and will clock to 3.0 easily without any volt increase.
Mine got to 3.2 without any volt increase, my ram couldve helped though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom