Help choosing a laptop. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Help choosing a laptop.

My friend is looking for a decent laptop, well something impressive.

Her budget is $1,500. I would help her myself, but I don't know much about laptop configurations, such and such.

I hear they're shelling out these new types of processors?, I don't know: Santa Rosa or something like that. But I hear those are for the high end laptops.

From what she's telling me, saying she'd like softwares such paintshop and Microsoft office...she'll be using the laptop for school work and decent graphics editing, nothing too out of the norm.

If anything, these softwares, I can "provide." But I'd like to have the office suite included in the package, I'm not sure if that's specified when browsing laptop selections online though.

Oh, and I really want to use the full potential of her budget. I'm pretty sure there's a laptop there that's sufficient enough in that price range. Maybe someone can even find a $2k laptop with a $500 price cut, or I could just be dreaming. *shrugs*

I believe victory only exist at the end, no matter how the factors present it.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Help choosing a laptop.

Something along these lines would probably be just fine for her. - ASUS A8 Series A8JR-4P021C NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5500(1.66GHz) 14" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 667 120GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 - Retail

ANd you can't get the office suite included with the laptop--It HAS to be purchased separately. So you can buy a separate copy or buy it directly from the notebook's manufacturer but you can't get it preinstalled like you would 5 years ago. MS Office 2007 starts at around $150 I believe.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Help choosing a laptop.

Doesn't have to start at a price.

Meh. I like this laptop but I think my friend wouldn't like it form factor wise.

I'll show her this though.

But I think she may want something that's a bit more bling...Lol.

Much like the Vaio laptops, though I hear they aren't that good.
I believe victory only exist at the end, no matter how the factors present it.

Closed Thread

« OS Choices | laptop »