help with buying a new CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICKYPETUNIA

Baseband Member
Hi there.

It is very final and definite. I have had multiple computer technicians tell me that my cpu is dying. Only it seems to be fading more quickly than anyone anticipated. I am going to buy a new one...

Does anyone know what to look for in a cpu when buying a new one these days?

Thank you for helping and reading. Have a great night, and I am on pins and needles to find out what you all may suggest.

Thanks,
pickypetunia

Yes, I think. I have a good monitor, but need to buy the tower or the "central processing unit". Is that the same thing? If so, then do you (or anyone, for help is always appreciated) know how to pick a good one to purchase, please? Thanks so much!!

I'm looking around at different sites, and realize I need to be more specific as to what I'm searching to learn... (or as best I understand... lol!)

1. what are the most desired traits in a Desktop Tower and please, why are they each so desired? I do know the following...

2. I work with graphics programs such as adobe cs4
3. I am happiest with Windows 7 pro 64 bit
4. I search the internet avidly
5. burn cds and dvds
6. need a good good bit of memory
7. wouldn't mind 2 disk drives
8. sufficient usb drive space
9. must be able to take a camera card
10. yet, the clincher, of course, that I could afford this - lol -- that happens to be very important, too, somehow! my price range? - not sure :(

And again, I haven't the slightest clue as to what to really ask, but I thank and trust you all to lead me down the right path. But Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! :) And good night. ;)

Well to specify the "CPU" is the central processing unit that goes on your motherboard, or processor. You could call it the brain of your computer. The "tower" is simply your whole computer. Follow? So you can simply say you need to buy a new computer.

Now here is the deal, can you identify anything that your computer may have in it for components? Any model numbers or stickers on what you currently have? You can look on the outside of your tower to possibly identify any of these stickers.

Did the technicians say what exactly is the problem? We may be able to help you without actually having the need to replace the whole thing. A certain component may be going bad that you could replace alot cheaper than replacing the whole computer. If you could get us this information we may be able to save you alot of cash in the long run as well as teach you a thing or two about computers.

Another question is that if you DO decide to go with another computer as a whole what would your budget be? That is if you cant fix your current one for a reasonable price.

PP Mguire,

thank you! I looked carefully at my computer, and I found out it is an HP Pavillion elite m9400T PC. And the techs simply said the computer tower was dying, and what time it finally will, no body can really tell. however, listening to them, i'd rather go ahead and get a new one. and that is where i definitely need help!!

Thank you so much for reading my post, and I feel better knowing you all are out there, knowing what YOU are doing (i really don't!), and that you care enough to take the time,

Have a wonderful day, PP Mguire!!!!

Hi ComancheCorps,

this is where it gets nitty gritty, but I would want atleast $350 to about $599 ---> But that higher side would be only if the computer would encompass most of traits I listed a little bit up above and also below:
e.g.

Windows 7 pro 64 bit OS
Atleast 4 GB memory
A graphics card which will be used in everything
Plenty of USB ports
wireless keyboard and mouse
A semi-large hard drive
Windows Media Center
Dual core??
High Definition Audio and visual

So, when it comes down to it, those number are a little more definitive, yet I am still very clueless. Help will always be well received, and Thank You for the help you are giving!!

$350 with windows isn't very plausible... its $100 itself. $599 is though.

You have a quad core right now btw... And honestly,. you're not going to improve too much at that budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom