help with buying a new CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea with that kind of budget you would be better set off telling us what the problems are so we can help you fix it instead of wasting your money. I'm going to be willing to bet your PSU just needs to be replaced.

Hi Pantonb,

I called one of the people, a student, who looked at my computer to ask EXACTLY what was going on with my cpu, and he just said "the cpu is dying". BUT, my other friend pin pointed things better, and I now feel pretty sheepish because.... it will take simply take buying a new hard drive due to an error in the core of the hard drive.

Sooo,
Sorry to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

On last question... and I'm sure you know what it will be: thoughts about a good hard drive???

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for all of your help!!!!!!!!!! Hope you all have a good night! And rest up from this! ;) Bye! :)

P.S. If you haven't figured it out yet: I kinda don't know much of what I'm doing.... which is why I'm here! but it can get a little nutty! So, thanks for just taking time. It means a lot to me, and I appreciate it all very much. Sorry for crazyiness!!! :(

Not a problem at all Picky. We help because we want to.

Even though we couldn't help you get a new computer.... We just saved you a ton of money, and you didn't even have to switch to Giceo.

It'd be bad of us or any forum to just blindly shows you a computer to go buy. I always say, the only dumb question is the question not asked.... So i always ask questions.

Your computer has the potential to be good up to great depending which of the 6 you do have, and a couple upgrades can get you a few more years with a pretty decent computer..... Unless you don't game... Then you are golden.

wow. thanks patonb. :D

GhOsT1321,

Q: your suggestion is intriguing. what, may I ask, does the following mean and what quality does it all infer, please? Or what specs should could I be looking out for?? Thank you!!! :)

Performance

Interface
SATA 3.0Gb/s

Capacity
640GB

RPM
7200 RPM

Cache
32MB

Physical Spec

Form Factor
3.5"

It all sounds good, but I don't know what it means! lol!!!!

As always, thanks to everyone. Everybody rocks! Take care, and I look forward to learning more always!

GhOsT1321,

Q: your suggestion is intriguing. what, may I ask, does the following mean and what quality does it all infer, please? Or what specs should could I be looking out for?? Thank you!!! :)

Performance

Interface
SATA 3.0Gb/s
This means that the drive is sata2, which should be the same interface your motherboard uses.

Capacity
640GB
This is the size of the hard drive, 640GB.

RPM
7200 RPM
This is the revolutions per minute that the hard drive's disc spins at, 7200RPM. Generally the faster the better, 7200 is pretty much the standard for any desktop gaming or non gaming. Aside from SSDs, the other drive would be a hard drive that spins at 5400 RPM, which is slow and generally used for a storage drive only, or any other application where power saving is important.

Cache
32MB
This is the cache of the hard drive, the more the better, however there isn't much of a difference between 16MB and 32MB in terms of performance.

Physical Spec

Form Factor
3.5"
This tells us the size of the hard drive. Generally speaking, 2.5 is a laptop internal hard drive, while 3.5 is a desktop internal hard drive.
Edit: Depending on how large your current failing hard drive is, you may prefer to have a larger hard drive in terms of capacity (GB).

Okay, Western Digital makes 3 levels of drives.. Green, Basic, Performance. Or called Green, Blue and Black.
Green are slow and made only for storage... They also save power.
Blue are basic drives with nothing special, but they work good.
Black work faster and have a better warrentee.

Interface is how you plug it in. You have that one... The other kind is ide.

Capacity is how big it is/how much you can put on it. And speed is how fast it turns on the inside... Like a record player.

Cache is about how fast it thinks.

Form factor is how big it is in real life. 3.5:' is for desktops, 2.5" is for laptops

Keep asking, we'll keep trying.

Wow i'm slow......

**** you Ghost

Okay, Western Digital makes 3 levels of drives.. Green, Basic, Performance. Or called Green, Blue and Black.
Green are slow and made only for storage... They also save power.
Blue are basic drives with nothing special, but they work good.
Black work faster and have a better warrentee.

Interface is how you plug it in. You have that one... The other kind is ide.

Capacity is how big it is/how much you can put on it. And speed is how fast it turns on the inside... Like a record player.

Cache is about how fast it thinks.

Form factor is how big it is in real life. 3.5:' is for desktops, 2.5" is for laptops

Keep asking, we'll keep trying.

Wow i'm slow......

**** you Ghost

:p
Payback for all those times that you beat me to suggesting a computer build... I don't even bother posting mine :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom