Help building first PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnjedi

Beta member
Hello all!
I am in the process of building my first PC and wanted to run the hardware by you guys to make sure everything will co-exist and that it will achieve what I want (I also would appreciate comments on hardware that you know could do the same thing for cheaper!)
Basically I'm buying parts to build what will be a gamer's HTPC (WoW, Call of Duty, New Starcraft & Diablo when they come out, etc.) Currently I will be running it on a 19" LCD monitor so I hope that won't derail my dreams either.

Anyways my parts are as follows:
ECS P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard ($99.99)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 ($194.99)
Comments on Quad vs. Dual?

SAPPHIRE 100265L Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ($109.99)

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply ($104.98)

4 X Rendition by Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model RM25664AA800 (4 X $16.99)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ($99.99)
I know this is one area I could save some $$ but I figure with an HTPC, I'm going to need all the space I can get.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($65.95)
I'm really curious as to if I need this. I currently have a mid ATX tower but it only has one rear fan because it is like 6 years old. The concern would be overheating obviously...

Thanks for the help!

The only change I'd make is to get better RAM. That looks like bare minimum, no-heatsink, budget RAM. Also, 8GB is unnecessary. 4GB(2x2GB) is plenty.

Raidmax isn't too terrible in my opinion, our shop used to keep 420w Raidmax PSUs in stock, they weren't terrible for how cheap they were.

But the one you posted is better. ;)

Well maybe the ones sold separate are decent. But the ones that come with cases blow. My cousin had a Raidmax case and used the psu that came with the case. One day he powered on his system and smoke started pouring out and was making crackling noises. The psu fried his mobo and had to build a new system. So after that I stay away from Raidmax.

Oh yeah, I agree. But most any PSUs that come with a case are crappy, so I see your point. :p The ones that are bought separately are good decent PSUs though, for the most part.

I'd say go for a dual core like the e8500 @ 3.15Ghz. Its also a 45nm chip.

New q6600s suck, and your games don't need quads. I foud my stock q6600 sluggish, and needed to be oc'd to see the peppiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom