HELP! Bent processor pins!

iParanormalx

The strange one
Hey all

A friend bought a new Ryzen processor (dunno which one) and when installing it he somehow dropped it and many of the pins are bent. (approx 20)

How would be best for him to try to reallign them? Is there a special tool he could get or something?

He doesn't want to give up on the thing he said he spent almost 500$

Edit: 1001 posts! :D

What I've done in the past is use needle nose pliers but not the big ones, I have a pair that's extra small that will fit perfectly in between the pins... its really frustrating and it takes a lot of patience but it'll work

There's also a good chance some might have broke. +1 for LGA socket.

Tell him to use a mechanical pencil for the ones that aren't completely bent all the way. For the ones that are flattened he needs to use a very tiny flat blade (like a precision flat head screw driver) and small needle nose to get them up SLOWLY then use the mechanical pencil to straighten it out.

One of the best ways, use a thin plastic card to push the pins all back into alignment... Either case, the processor warranty is now null and voided so he may as well consider it a loss and try to bend them back with the expectations of breaking a pin as he bends it back into place.

As for LGA vs PGA... I have seen plenty of motherboards come out of of the box with damaged sockets. Gotta love when one slips through QC/QA and works it's way to you.

There's also a good chance some might have broke. +1 for LGA socket.

Tell him to use a mechanical pencil for the ones that aren't completely bent all the way. For the ones that are flattened he needs to use a very tiny flat blade (like a precision flat head screw driver) and small needle nose to get them up SLOWLY then use the mechanical pencil to straighten it out.

+1 to mechanical pencil. Has to be one with the thin metal extension tip though.

Combine that with a razor blade to fully straighten them out (it's thin enough to get between pins, and it's flat so you can straighten rows at a time).

+1 to mechanical pencil. Has to be one with the thin metal extension tip though.

Combine that with a razor blade to fully straighten them out (it's thin enough to get between pins, and it's flat so you can straighten rows at a time).
So not the **** ones your mom buys you for middle school.

So not the **** ones your mom buys you for middle school.

Yup. The crappy plastic tipped ones won't work.

Also, at first I thought you were talking about the razor blades and not the mechanical pencils. I was like "Who the **** buys their middle schooler razor blades?"

Strangely, I remember having to buy those pencil razer blade things for art class long ago... Only students in Art classes could have them, and couldn't have them out in any class except arts o.0... Boy have times changed.

Back
Top Bottom