Help with AMD Athlon 1.05GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddyGator

In Runtime
I have an older computer that I use in my office to run Microsoft Office and internet operations. It has 512 of RAM. Is it worth buying another 512 of ram for $69 to keep it running? What other options do I have if I want to upgrade it economically?

yeah, another 512MB RAM and it'll run very well.

If it's only going to be used for office, with XP and 1GB RAM, you could probably set paging file to around 256MB or even disable it. Then it'll run quite fast.

I have been reading some websites that seem to say the 512mb is sufficient. Will I have an actual benefit with 1GB?

yes.

512MB is sufficient to run it "okay", but 1GB will make it run faster. Especially with paging file lowered or disabled.

considering the price of RAM, it's worth it IMO.

Why is it better to have the paging file disabled? I thought it was only used when regular RAM was all being used up...

Why is it better to have the paging file disabled?
Because RAM is much, much faster than hard drives are. And if you have enough RAM to load everything without having to use paging file, then why would you use it?

I thought it was only used when regular RAM was all being used up...
Actually, Paging file is often used even before RAM is used up. I don't know why it is, but it makes things slower.

I have 2GB of RAM in my system, and I disable paging file completely. It's just much more responsive, and much faster when loading and running games, such as Battlefield 2, Command and Conquer 3 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom