Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

murtagh

Solid State Member
I am thinking of buying a laptop. These are the two that i have finalised-
One
Two EDIT : This link doesn't work. Cilck on the link in the 3rd post of this topic.

"One" has AMD Turion 64 Mobile processor ml-37 with PowerNow! technology; 2.0GHz

"Two" has Intel Centrino Duo mobile technology featuring Intel Core Duo processor T2400; 1.83GHz

I want it for basically home use(gaming and all). So which one is better for me?

Clearly "One" has better specifications than "Two" but what I wanna know is will all games and softwares work on an AMD processor(like Counter Strike - Source, Lord of The Rings,etc.). And which graphics card is better? The only thing that "Two" has that is better than "One" is that "Two" has 667 MHz and "One" has only 333 Mhz. Does that make a lot of difference?

The link for laptop two does not work;

However..
The 200M is a fairly good middle class graphics card for laptops, you should be able to run Half life 2 and stuff on lowish to med settings.

For "Two" click on this link and check the first one out (HP Pavilion dv5190us Notebook PC)-

Two

what exactly will you be using it for? The laptop option (for nearly all cases) should only be considered if you want to take it beyond your home. For the same overall features the price difference between a laptop and desktop is around $500 (more for a laptop).

If it is only a "home use" computer then why not get a desktop pc? If you need a semi-mobile desktop pc, then why not get a mini-tower pc like this one?

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...00?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=specstab#tabtop

With Dell, I would highly highly suggest only going with their xps line. They cut too many corners on their lower lines. My six-year-old xps dell is still kick'n (with NO problems) while I'm having to literally reconstruct my 1.5-year-old 8400 dell due to motherboard inadequacies.

Also, if you want a gaming system, you will want a system that's easily and cheaply upgradable. Laptops are neither. Remember, there's always some new hot game on the horizon that has ridiculous hardware requirements.

yes, btw why have him buy a prebuilt computer when he can build his own for less.. if you want to go desktop build your computer for a lot less then what you would pay buing form dell. Just find a good guide, or find as friend that will put it together for free

murtagh said:
Will all games work on an AMD processor?

Yes, AMD is widely considered to be slightly better to way better at gaming by almost everybody. If you're mostly gonna be doing gaming you should stick to AMD.

And as far as the "333" and "667" you're comparing, they are different DDR standards i.e. DDR and DDR2. so they're a little hard to compare. Regardless, I would stick with the AMD notebook.

murtagh said:
Link to a game that says that it requires Pentium 2 or higher.
Does it require some processor speed, say 1.5 GHz or does it require an Intel processor?

It just means IF you have an Intel processor it needs to be a P2 operating at at least 400 MHz or higher. If you have an AMD you need to have the equivalent of a P2 400 MHz or higher.

When looking at system requirements, just remember that if applications or games are developed for windows then you can use either Intel or AMD.

It also sounds like you're getting confused with processors and operating speeds. Pentium 2 or Pentium 4 means the type of processor, GHz is the speed at which it operates at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom