Heat Sync for AMD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Heat Sync for AMD

I am working on a custom Comp for a friend. It has a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 Motherboard.

They had a Thermaltake liquid CPU cooling system on it and the pump stopped working on it. The motherboard is supposed to have this little orange clip around the CPU like so:

But that clip was removed when they installed the liquid cooled heat sync. My question is this: Can any tell from these pictures if that kit includes the mounting bracket I am going to need to put that fan on? Or any other suggestions as to what fan/kit I could use?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Heat Sync for AMD

The product you linked to has the entire mounting kit that screws down around the original place of the bracket for the new heat sink. It is pretty common to see a lot of aftermarket heat sinks go this route, they are the size of huge locks with a ton of small parts.

The the brackets work is one fits behind the motherboard while the plastic goes ontop where the orange bracket is now. After securing everything to the motherboard, you install the heat sink.

Pretty cool and easy stuff once you get the parts and know how.

Steam @ objecterror
Old 09-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well, I don't necessarily need or even want to use that particular product.

What would you use? The cheaper the better. The next time it breaks, I'm just gonna make him get a new one. I hate this box.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I did a little research and found out, they are called 'retention holders' which, on the spot I could write two paragraphs on how vital they are to the entire motherboard.

That being said, since I found out what they are, I found out they are purchasable. Here for example:
Newegg.com - EVERCOOL K8-AM2-RM AMD K8 Socket AM2 Retention Holder - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

for a paltry 5$ you can find a retention holder based on the socket of your motherboard/cpu. So, find out the socket, get a good retention holder and the next time he breaks, charge him 50$ ontop of the part.

Steam @ objecterror
Closed Thread