HDTV build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default HDTV build

I've been building a tonn of gaming systems but have a friend that just had his laptop die and wants a tower to replace the laptop, he also wants to use his 52" flatscreen for the monitor, he will be doing no gaming at all, just basic home user stuff and watching movies with possibly a blueray player at some point. What video card would work for running a tv that size, were trying to keep it as cheap as possible but want enough power to run, looking at a I3 or maybe a I5 max, like I said he doesn't need the power. Just basic home user stuff with a big tv lol

Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
Default Re: HDTV build

I'd say i5 2400 if you're looking at Intel, theres no reason not to be sporting a quad-core.
Although if you want to keep price down, why not snag a Phenom II x4, the 955BE is ~$70 cheaper than the 2400.

I used to run my comp on my roomate's 51" DLP with an 8600GT through a DVI cable.
It wasn't beautiful, but it worked for movies.

I'd say start picking parts on a budget with cost in mind, then drop whatever the balance is into the best GPU you can get with what is left.

Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
ninja troll

if he isnt gaming, no video card is even required. a halfway decent processor and integrated graphics will power it.
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

But if he wants to go Blu-ray in the future, wouldn't it be better to just get a vidcard and then if he decides to go, he doesn't need to buy one later.
A low end video card would do just fine, ATI Radeon HD 5450 (Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100291DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card) would work great I'm thinking.
And I agree with Roark, there is no need for a quad in there but if you want, save money and go with AMD.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein
Rep me if I helped you out
Old 08-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

He likes intel, suggested AMD but he wants intel. Going to look at those vid card suggested and I think an I3 CPU would be enough for his needs, also going to add the bluray since you can now get a player for around $60- $70 so the low profile ATI card should be good, thanks for the help, I know gaming systems but this type system is new to me.

Closed Thread