HDSLR built

Status
Not open for further replies.

fais7

Baseband Member
So yet another friend is going into the world of HDSLR so he needs a computer that can render high quality HD videos coming from his 550D. That is the computers main usage with normal photo editing (photoshop) and browsing the internet. Budget $1000-1200 with importance placed on a good cooling system (preferrebly a Gigabyte system).

Thanks in advance.

any standard duel core or quad even will do. get a big hdd for storing raws. and a decent nvidia gpu for prossecing in photoshop, and a nice 4gb set of ram as it is cheap by now. you have to realize that almost all digital slr's shoot hd image quality.... the hd stands for hd video recording.

Instead of the Caviar Black drive I would go for a Samsung F3; they're pretty much the same price but slightly faster.

And, in addition to that drive, I would get another, smaller drive for the OS, say 320GB or something. Gives plenty of space for the OS, programs and a bit of storage, and the larger 1TB drive can be used purely for storage. Also saves a lot of work if you ever need to reinstall the OS, since everything can be temporarily stored on the 1TB drive instead of backing up everything to DVDs/external drives.

As recommended above, a nVidia GPU is probably preferable to the HD5770 (which is ATi), because of Adobe Suite's optimisation for them. A cheap one like GT240 or GT220 would be plenty.

Out of those motherboards, I would go for the cheaper one. You don't need anything especially good unless it's going to be used for overclocking the CPU.

You mentioned good cooling was a priority; something like a Thermalright TRUE would be good. If you want case recommendations, feel free to give us some pointers - for example, is size an issue?

Good choice on CPU. RAM looks good, though I'm in the UK so I can't confirm if the pricing is any good as I'm unfamiliar with USD :)

Went to the local shop and they told me I could go for this motherboard instead....
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Looks similar spec'd to the one I've posted above so does anyone know if this is more value for money or better for my needs?

PSU : COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Graphics card...Is this any good > GIGABYTE GV-N240D3-1GI GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAM: Corsair XMS3 not sure which one though....didn't realize there were three of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom