HDD storage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default HDD storage

hey people's

i'm looking at getting a new hard drive to add to the one already in my rig, seems stupid but i got most of that 1TB used up so i kind of want a new one (or 2) to add to it

the 3 things i'm looking at is it being reliable, affordable and being on the big size (even though i would go smaller )

what i would be putting on to it is all my media (music, vids, pic's ect) there with itunes and maby some games

so what would you guys suggest

My new pc spec's ~

Case ~ nexus caterpilla
Mobo ~ Gigabyte GA~P35~DS3R Rev 2.0
CPU ~ Intel Q6600
HDD ~ 2 x 500gb western digital drives
Ram ~ 4GB worth (4 strips) of OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Platinum Rev 2.0
PSU ~ Corsair 750TX
GPU ~ GTX 295

OS - Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: HDD storage

I think one of the best big HDDs out there is the WD Caviar Black 1TB. It's around $130 on newegg.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

There's also the Caviar Green 1TB if you want to save a little energy. Though I doubt it's much of a difference, or so I've read. But it's cheaper.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Reliability would probably be the WD RE3. But very expensive. So I think the Caviar Black is the best choice. It's in the middle. It's reliable, not that expensive, and has a big capacity like you wanted.
Closed Thread