HDD To SSD - Installing The Current Image

Michael.Chute

Baseband Member
Acer Aspire V3-771G-9809

Note: Only difference between the linked computer and mine is I have 16GB of RAM in a single slot (a mistake I made).

To the problem.

I have the old hard drive with this computer which is a 1TB HDD that I have swapped out in the past with a SSD OCZ Vector 256GB but because this hard drive has failed twice since I bought it I had to return it to OCZ for a swap. The first few times I used Apricore's 2.5" Sata Wire & Apricore's EZ Gig IV to clone my hard drive in it's complete form to my new SSD. Now that I received the SSD back from OCZ for the third time I tried the same process but am unable to boot up the SSD hard drive this time and are unable to find out why for the life of me. Any help would be much apprciated, thank you in advance.

Another option besides Acronis is CloneZilla.

But technique is the same as PP said: create an image of the current drive on another drive, and then write that image to the SSD.

Tried both but it didn't seem to want to work, like it has in the past or as noted above. However I was able to take an image of the factory settings itself and transfer that over to my other hard drive. From there I started from scratch and transferred files. Thanks for the help again.

Tried both but it didn't seem to want to work, like it has in the past or as noted above. However I was able to take an image of the factory settings itself and transfer that over to my other hard drive. From there I started from scratch and transferred files. Thanks for the help again.
This is the only one that so far, that I've found, has been able to copy "EVERYTHING" in its entirety. XXCLONE, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System Disk

The unfortunate thing is it's very risky. It's free, but it will only clone the C drive to a different drive, it can't be any other drive letter. There are different ways to back it up, but because you're cloning the original image, it's harder to put the copy of the original back in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:
This is the only one that so far, that I've found, has been able to copy "EVERYTHING" in its entirety. XXCLONE, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System Disk

The unfortunate thing is it's very risky. It's free, but it will only clone the C drive to a different drive, it can't be any other drive letter. There are different ways to back it up, but because you're cloning the original image, it's harder to put the copy of the original back in case something goes wrong.

CloneZilla and Acronis copy everything into an image...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

This. I've made images of probably over 50 installs for transfer onto an SSD. Every single one worked perfectly while done on a separate computer.

Probably something I did wrong. I did get it working either way just took me a few more hours than I would have liked to complete the task. Seems to be a recurring event (re-imaging computers).

It usually takes a while to copy. The key is doing it on another computer. I've had 100% success because none of the files are being accessed on the drive being copied.

Back
Top Bottom