HDD Partioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I am building my system right now ! and want to know about partioning.
I have a 250GB drive.
How much should I allocate to XP Pro?
Should I make like 5 50GB partitions?
Are there draw backs to this?

Thanks

ya, u can go with it, but u can only make more than 8GB primary on NTFS, and not FAT32. it wont be like 250 exactlly, but after partitioningm u'll get around 238GB's so divie this into 5

HDD partition

Blind_Arrow,

Thanks,

But is 1/5th to much for XP-PRO? When I partition for the OS is it just for the application that I install or is for the app and updates etc?

I do not want to make it to big or I'd be wasting space ; would't I?

Thanks

It depends on how much you want to install on the Windows partition. If you are going to install all programs on another partition I would still allocate at least 5 GB to the Windows partition. Also keep in mind the page file will occupy some of the space. You can move the page file to another partition if you are getting low on space.

i have like a 32gb partition for windows, but i install all my prgrams an games on there, i imagined it would make them run better being in the same partition as windows, but if im wrong there someone please! correct me! so that i can fix it up.

I wouldnt make 5 partitions, maybe one for music an 2 or maybe 3 more,

iv got 2 hard drives, only one is partitioned. my 150gb is where i put all my media, and the other one is for setups for programs, and all my games. the 3rd obviously, for windows and apps.

Todd0 said:
i have like a 32gb partition for windows, but i install all my prgrams an games on there, i imagined it would make them run better being in the same partition as windows, but if im wrong there someone please! correct me! so that i can fix it up.

I wouldnt make 5 partitions, maybe one for music an 2 or maybe 3 more,

iv got 2 hard drives, only one is partitioned. my 150gb is where i put all my media, and the other one is for setups for programs, and all my games. the 3rd obviously, for windows and apps.

You wouldn't notice the difference. It should run slightly faster if it is on the first partition on the disk. The better alternative would be to install the games on a dedicated disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom