HDD from old computer into new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
I have never done this before, but I have a hard drive with xp sp2 pro installed on it but I have a new motherboard and processor on the way and I was wondering if there is a way I could boot to xp without formatting and loosing all my data? I have back-up but it would be nice if I could keep all the data.

Is there a possibility? I'm thinking maybe I will have to reinstall XP without reformatting it? maybe via the recovery console? but I don't know.

Also will it make a difference if I just switch my jumper settings so my HDD now is SATA 3 isntead of 1.5?

Thanks.

Anyone? I guess all I want to know is if my hdd from my old computer will work with the new motherboard/pc.

It might work and it might even require a system repair. Best bet is to reformat for better performance.

It might work and it might even require a system repair. Best bet is to reformat for better performance.

Beat me to it, was going to say the same thing. It might work but with everything I have done I ad to a fresh install on that much of a change. It can't hurt to re format be a lot better off in the long run, that is if you have the time to deal with it.

The only way is to perform a Repair (Not the recovery console), it may or may no work. But peter is right, a clean format and install of windows is best.

This is why you need to back up all data before preceeding. Just in case the repair does not work.

so the repair is done by pressing the "R" when running the setup with the CD?

No, you go to install windows, then when it detects a previous version it will ask if you want to do a repair install, you then hit whatever button it states for that. Probably R, but only after it detects a previous version.

Remember to back up all important data first.

By using your old computer to burn the files to a disk or copy them over to another harddrive.

You had the harddrive in another computer before this right? So just pop it back in, burn a few disks/dvds and then you can try a repair on the new motherboard.

Backup means to save all your important and precious files that you needed to another hard drive or to a CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom