HDD Bottlenecking my build?

AFTGOG

Beta member
I recently(end of September) built my first computer, after a good bit of research and a little of my own mechanical intuition did their work. Now, I am mostly quite satisfied with the build, but I do have a few improvementsI would like to make, one of which being the hard drives. Due to my neverending desire to experiment and tweak my software and setup, I ran some tests, did a little research, and I think that my hard drive may actually be slowing my system down quite a bit. My system specs are up on the site, but I also compiled it here for your ease: Intel Core i5-3570, Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti, Lian-Li PC-K65 (Black) - Starlight of the West - SilmeNumen's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker
Now, I have a few questions. First, does anyone think I am correct in my assessment that the hard drive is bottlenecking the build's performance? Second, what would the community recommend as a potential replacement? I have done minimal research into RAID arrays, and what drives they work best with, so if that is a good option, more explanation is in order. Thanks for the info guys!!

AFTGOG

Could always just get a SSD for your OS/main programs, and then have the 1TB as a supplemental data drive to save files/install normal programs.

Was this an older hard drive (possibly from a previous computer) that you're using for your newer build? Is it a 5400RPM drive?

SSD's are always a good decision.

Was this an older hard drive (possibly from a previous computer) that you're using for your newer build? Is it a 5400RPM drive?

His PartPicker list shows its a WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM :p.

No, it was brand new. I know that SSDs are good, but to rephrase my original post, I am not sure if there is much more to be gotten from the build. As in, will a new hard drive increase performance at all, or is the HDD at the limit of benefit from my MB, CPU, and RAM selections.

HDDs don't decrease performance like FPS in games, they merely hold you back in productivity when loading things like programs ect. They don't exactly hold back the other parts besides during loading and latency.

Getting an SSD will up the general performance of your PC. Boot up times, program responsiveness, ect. Every computer can benefit from an SSD.

HDDs don't decrease performance like FPS in games, they merely hold you back in productivity when loading things like programs ect. They don't exactly hold back the other parts besides during loading and latency.

Getting an SSD will up the general performance of your PC. Boot up times, program responsiveness, ect. Every computer can benefit from an SSD.

I don't care as much about game FPS, but the second half of your post answers my question. Thanks! I will probably be getting an SSD, double boot with 8 and some open source OS. Anyone have experience with Corsair SSDs? I am an ENORMOUS fan of Corsair parts, but have, clearly, no experience with SSDs.

Back
Top Bottom