Have to kick the habit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshSB

Geek Squad
Okay guys, here is the situation, I am going into college and need a BASIC laptop for data storage and studying at night. No video games as my desktop is far more superior than any laptop I can get.

The main problem is that I have a "need or fetish whatever you want to call it" in wanting to own all the new gadgetry, while this time I need just the basics. I know basically what I need, but I do not know the levels of integrated graphics, what can safely run DVDs and still have good quality ect.

Basically it will be a portable studying item that I can use for looking at typed notes or working on small projects for school. I need it to be able to play DVD's with decent quality and be able to run at the very least Macromedia Fireworks and Dreamweaver (maybe photoshop).

I am looking for something in the range of $600-900. I was thinking a Dell laptop with a dual-core or maybe HP or Toshiba.

So, in summarization it needs to have a good battery, good processor, at LEAST 512 (hopefully around 1 gig) of ram, 80 GB hard drive, and at the very least able to play DVDs with little to no quality loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys for all of your help.

Forgot to mention that I need it to be both wireless and have an ethernet adapter hooked up.

At best buy you can get a gateway with
15.4 inch widescreen
1.63 Core Duo
1 gig ram
Intel GMA 950
Built in Wireless
120 gig HDD
like 3.5-4 hours of battery life
DVD-RW drive

for 849.99

And does that do everything I need it to do? (sorry unsure about the integrated graphics)

Playing a DVD is no problem at all for any Onboard graphics that you can buy today. The intel 950 is beleive it or not one of the best, It was created specifically with vista in mind so it can handle a DVD no problem. Plus you migh be surpriced by how well most games out today play on a laptop with those spec's.

Edit - I can play CS:S with an ATI express 200 no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom