Hardware Noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade2White12

Beta member
I feel I'm quite capable when it comes to software, but hardware is another story. I just ordered a PC which should be here quite soon, and for the video card I got a eVGA GeForce 7300GT 256. After reading reviews and such, I have a concern that my card isn't the greatest. Since I'll be using this much for gaming, you can understand why I'm concerned. So, here's a few questions that I would really appreciate being answered.

First, obviously, what do you guys think of the 7300GT?

Second, my motherboard is DDR2, as is my 1 Gig of RAM - so if I wish to upgrade, does that mean I have to get a video card that is DDR2 like this one?

Third, if I bought another 7300GT and then SLI, would that improve my performance more than just buying one singular card?

Thanks guys.
Oh, and here are some specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
160gb HD
MSI K9N Neo-f MBoard
1GB PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7300 GT 256

If you're really demanding, then i'd say return it for a better card, but i'm getting like 40 fps, with a Sempron 3000 (Socket A), 768 mb DDR-333mhz, and a Radion 9250 256 mb. With this i get barely any lag on souce, or anything else i try out (can't play Battlefeild 2 though ><)

If you really want things to be the best they can be, then go for a new card, but if you don't care that much stick with that one. Everything will still look awesome

Also it would be better to buy a new card, than to get another one for SLI

The 7300 series is not really good. Check out the 7600 series or the 7600GT specifically. And no....you don't have to get a video card with DDR2 memory, it has nothing to do with the system's memory. Get a video card with GDDR3 memory, as that is the latest for video cards right now.

Yea, definatly if you want to game a 7300 is NOT what you want. Go for a 7600 or 7800. The 7300 is going to dissappoint you.
And yes, confirmed on the GDDR3 thing, go for that. The type of system memory (RAM) that your motherboard is designed for (DDR2) has no bearing on what type of graphics card memory you can have. GDDR3 is the best out right now, but it wouldn't matter if GDDR200 came out, as long as it was PCI-e (PCI express) it would still fit in any motherboard that supported PCI-e. Personally, I would get the GTX model of whatever series you get. They're made for extreme performance.

Well I think it may be worth my upgrading. Anyway, I think the 7600 more suits me as I don't want to pay several hundred dollars for the card. So as a question, which version of the 7600GT do you recommend? I see brands such as eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc.

eVGA and BFG are both great.

BFG cards have lifetime warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom