Hardrive exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gauge

Solid State Member
My friend's keyboard and mouse on her computer just stopped working, as a result she bought a brand new one. I figured I could get it to work so She is giving it to me some time today. However, after I get it to work she is going to take the hard drive out. No big deal except doesn't that mean she will be taking the Windows operating system? It was a built from scratch computer so there is no reboot disk and I don't wanna pay a million dollars for windows. Is that a problem, will windows actually be gone? If so, what should I do?

Yes, Windows is installed on that hard drive (assuming she only has one). If she removes the hard drive, then Windows is gone off of the computer.

Why exactly is she taking the hard drive out? To replace it?

OH, she is giving me the computer, but wants the hard drive. I guess I coulda mentioned that hu :D Yeah, she is giving it to me to replace the PIII 64mb P.O.S in my room. All I have to do is fix the mouse and keyboard. Any ideas on that? She said she has tried others so it wasn't the hardware./

It could be the ports that they are plugging into. Try using USB ones if you have enough ports, if those work it is probably The ps2 ports on your mobo.

Thanks

Yeah, I figured it might be the PS2 ports. But there is still the matter of an OS, the computer has to be able to use a Linksys router so I think that puts linux out of the question :(. Any suggestions on what to do? I have a ME (Ewww) restore disk, but I would much rather use XP. Is there a way I could coppy the entire harddrive over to another, I don't know if slaving is an option so I would need another way to do it.

If she keeps the HDD, is she gonna use that copy of Windows (and it's product key) on a different computer? If so, then that is piracy. If she gives you the HDD and the product key for Windows, and doesn't use it herself, then you are in the clear.

You can copy the contents in their entirety to a new HDD using Norton Ghost. It's a relatively easy-to-use program for such a task. However, it is not freeware:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom