Hard Drive for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailpog

Daemon Poster
Hi,
I currently run a 200gb 7200rpm hard drive. This has XP and all of my games, files and stuff. I am just wondering if it would be worth adding a new smaller hard drive dedicated to running windows and how would i set this up.
Thanks,
Sol

You could - just pop it in as a master and set the old 200GB to slave.

There are drawbacks to this:
1. When you install things, it goes to the drive that Windows is installed on by default 9/10ths of the time, and sometimes you don't have the option to change it. You'd have to find a way (probably in the reg.) to tell everything to install to the new drive.

2. You'd have an old install of Windows on the old drive. Removing it would save a great deal of space, but I'm not sure how to. Maybe you know.

1.Does anyone know how to change the registry?

2.If you put the XP disc in, doesn't it give you the option to re-install, i would just choose to put it on the new drive( That i would already have put in) .

back up all your information. install your smaller drive. delete the partitions on old drive. create a partition on the old drive again. (this will make all the info unreadable) and then load the OS onto the new drive. Windows will creat some files on the slave drive and you will have the OS on the small one.

I have the same setup. I have a 36GB raptor as the OS and a 74GB Raptor as the slave. 99% of all programs out today will let you install them where every you want. you will just have to be careful when you load new programs, and where you want them. they will also create program files on the C drive, so if you have games on the slave and have to reload, you will have to remap it so play it again.

but to do it properly you will basically have to reformat both drive. leaving the old OS on the slave can sometimes cause problems while installing the new one, hence the back-up first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom